Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Cleaning Hull in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
If they really wanted to effect change, they'd ban the use of copper-based anti fouling paints in your harbor. In-water hull cleaning actually contributes very little metal to the water column.
It goes to the point. Environmental arguments are almost never rational. Seems we're on the same page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It goes to the point. Environmental arguments are almost never rational. Seems we're on the same page.
Perhaps. But in your marina's instance, I'd almost be willing to bet that rather than "environmentalists" banning hull cleaning, it is actually the marina operator and their lawyers who are looking to reduce their exposure. No altruistic love of the environment involved. That's certainly been the scenario here in California.

Whatever is the case in your harbor, it was a decision made in ignorance of the facts.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 11-14-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2012
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
AIR-LINE 12 Volt Hookah Compressor Package
Portable 12 V 1/3HP DC Compressor (call about other models)
Long 60' swiveled air hose with harness clip
Industrial 5' Compressor hose
Harness with ditchable weight pockets
Adjustable regulator W/ comfo swivel
An excellent, Safe choice for Boaters
ONLY $1095.00, Ask about our special!

Hookah direct drive scuba diving equipment sales. Hose diving hookah

Good notes on that website too.
I bought a 12 volt unit from jsi. It works great and you can be down for a couple of hours without running your batteries down. I did buy a full face mask which makes it all much easier. IST makes a pretty good silicone full face for about a hundred bucks. It would have been cheaper to hire the bottom cleaning done, but now I do it far more often.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by j34035 View Post
I bought a 12 volt unit from jsi. It works great and you can be down for a couple of hours without running your batteries down. I did buy a full face mask which makes it all much easier. IST makes a pretty good silicone full face for about a hundred bucks. It would have been cheaper to hire the bottom cleaning done, but now I do it far more often.
DD
So, all in, maybe $1500 with mask, tax and shipping? I get tempted to drop that on a unit, but only when mildly intoxicated.

Its just seems impossible to justify and I'm also concerned that it would not get used enough to keep it from decomposing in the lazz.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-15-2012

Quote:
So, all in, maybe $1500 with mask, tax and shipping? I get tempted to drop that on a unit, but only when mildly intoxicated.
I enjoy putting together my own hookahs and find I can typically do it for less than half the going retail price for identical units, using the exact same components.
Old 11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
I enjoy putting together my own hookahs and find I can typically do it for less than half the going retail price for identical units, using the exact same components.
Do you know where to find the 2hr 12v compressor these guys use? I would love to put together a kit, perhaps inside a large toolbox, with battery, compressor and charger.

I'm still very interested in the 110v unit you mentioned early, but they are pretty hard to find.

Would you essentially be comfortable with any oil-less compressor one wanted to use? Or is there some spec minimum you look for (CFM, PSI, etc?)

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 11-15-2012

Quote:
Do you know where to find the 2hr 12v compressor these guys use? I would love to put together a kit, perhaps inside a large toolbox, with battery, compressor and charger.

I'm still very interested in the 110v unit you mentioned early, but they are pretty hard to find.

Would you essentially be comfortable with any oil-less compressor one wanted to use? Or is there some spec minimum you look for (CFM, PSI, etc?)
Almost every commercially available hookah I've ever seen is based on a Thomas compressor (be it gas, electric or battery powered), and frankly, I wouldn't use anything else. You can get away with using any oil-less compressor (as long as it provides adequate airflow and pressure.) I think 3/4 hp/100 psi/2+ cfm would be minimum performance specs for an electric compressor.

Here is a link to the Thomas web site. You can browse the catalog to find the 12-volt compressor that J. Sink is using:

http://www.gd-thomas.com/

The Thomas 1020 is currently only available new through a rather limited network of distributors. You'd need to contact Thomas to find the one closest to you. I've had good response from the SoCal distributor-

Chester Paul Company: The Distributor

I am currently buiding a hookah based on another popular Thomas model, the 1207. This compressor is used not only in many high-end hookahs (I think all the Air Line by J. Sink electric hookahs use it) but it is also used to power many of the Thomas workshop/jobsite compressors, which can be found in abundance on craigslist. So there are many more 1207s out there than 1020s. I bought a clean, working unit on craigslist a couple of months ago for $80 (including shipping) although they typically go for around $350 used (interestingly, Thomas workshop/jobsite compressors using the 1207 can be had used for under $200.) For me, the 1207 will be the compressor of choice going forward.

Edit: I realise now that I previously posted most of this info several pages ago. Apologies.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 11-15-2012 at 02:40 PM.