SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Help with topside paint repair (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/93552-help-topside-paint-repair.html)

malyea 10-29-2012 08:11 AM

Help with topside paint repair

I scraped my topside badly (...don't ask...).

The PO previously had the topside painted on this '82 Hunter 30 and it appears to be just paint on top of fiberglass (ie - not gel coat damage just scraped paint).

To repair/re-paint/touchup without hauling out or repainting the entire topside do I just - sand/feather the edges - apply multiple coats topside paint - wet sand smooth - wax?

Here's a link to damage photos on the Hunter site post as I couldn't get pics to post here...

Help with topside paint repair - SailboatOwners.com

Thanks

chucklesR 10-29-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Help with topside paint repair

I'm surprised no one has responded yet on either forum.

Yes, it's as you said, sand feather and paint, wet sand, compound and wax...but -
if you are truly trying to go for an 'invisible' repair you'll have to do color matching (and use the same paint product) then the job gets a little more difficult.
Looks to me like you got some gelcoat in that too.

Faster 10-29-2012 11:22 AM

You'll also need to know exactly what kind of paint was used.. marine enamel? Single part poly or two part paint... some are easily 'repairable', others not so much. Hopefully you or the PO will have that information.

malyea 10-29-2012 11:28 AM

Still researching the type paint PO used but from previous shop receipts it looks like was probably Imron.

MarkSF 10-29-2012 01:40 PM

Looks like you have a layer of grey primer between the gelcoat and Imron.

hellosailor 10-29-2012 02:35 PM

I think Mark has hit the nail on the head, that gray color should be primer because no one ever bought a boat with gelcoat in that mousy gray color. Color matching and feathering in the damage without spray equipment would be difficult and even plain "white" can be hard to match. You might want to ask a local shop for an estimate, let them to the hard work on the color matching (and specify up front, in writing, that they will color match it not just come close) and then talk about saving some labor by doing the initial sanding or cleaning, although I don't think that part of the labor would be very high.

kd3pc 10-29-2012 03:03 PM

If it is IMRON, you are likely bound to a shop for the repair...as it is not "user friendly" and all but HAS to be sprayed and in certain environment...even then the repair may not blend in as well as you may want...

IMRON and AWL are a whole different animal.

the pics look like an IMRON paint in that the segments are cracked and peeling from the primer (gray background) not stretched and pulled....

malyea 10-30-2012 11:44 AM

After a fair amount of research/conversations/etc here's what I plan to do (unless someone can convince me otherwise)....

- feather/sand the paint edges
- apply primer
- roll and tip with white imron, probably two coats to help 'fill' the scrape
- wet sand with 600-800 grit (rubbing compound if needed)
- wax

I don't want to pay for a haul-out (too expensive on Lake Allatoona) and don't want to pay to re-paint stem to stern. I hope to achieve a decent result (it has to improve the eyesore it is now!) - something that looks good/OK from 10-15' and really good/great from 50'. It's not the time for me to pay for a pro level paint job....

Thoughts, warnings, suggestions, cautions, disclaimers....encouragement...

Thanks!

chucklesR 10-30-2012 11:47 AM

You might want to sand down to 1200 grit, then rubbing compound, then wax. Other than that good plan.

malyea 10-30-2012 11:50 AM

Thanks, will do...still got plenty of grease in the ol' elbow...