Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today

Well Today.. was the big day and I was like a ten YO on Xmas, looking at my watch and waiting for Santa (truck driver, no red suit) to come. I live in the FL sticks (8 mile N. of Bonifay) on a dirt road. The Islander caught some overhead limbs on the way up my 400 yard lane (Santa flying too close to the ground). No damage, just small limbs and somthing I will cut away when I truck it out again.

The driver has been in this business for sometime and I recommend him. He did not over $$ charge me, he designed his boat trailer, it picks up & lets the boat down on the spot, a real pro too. I use to haul boats and have an idea on what is what in rating drivers & prices, he's a good man.

Now, I did not see see this (mast cable) or realize this may be an issue when I looked at the -- 1970 Islander 37 MS, last Monday (22 Oct.). The driver pointed out that the mast had a added cable for support. I took some close up pictures but can't find my cable to connect camera to computer. I looked inside the mast and saw the signs (at base) of -- thinning of metal (?) and speckles of brown (corrosion). I thought that this may be normal for a 42 year old mast. I'm not knowledgeable enough to ID the added cable (name given) going up the side of the mast. The driver said, it looks like someone was trying to save money; they added this 3/8" inch cable to stiffen the mast under sail (?). I will have some pictures later on... to show what I'm trying to describe.

Items to Fix:

Rudder Repair or Replacement with (2 ft. busted off); Repair 4 x 4 in. hole in stern, it's near top and simple repair; re-rig or replace cables (sloopy) going to cabin wheel; re-service Adler Barbour Sys., it's not cooling as it should be; Batt Pro. 1230 Marine Sys. is not charging; lot's of painting & cleaning on a old boat but not a neglected boat. The former owner said that he saw the signs of termites beneath the cold box. When I was 1st told about the signs of termites.. I could not figure how that would happen on a boat. I was told that they have wings and just show up and not uncommon to see them, it happens.

I will have some pictures in a day or so and may start a log and post pictures as I progress from one item to another. I'm retired... have a fairly big project in front of me. I was bored (bought I37) before; I think that I may reflect back to my bored days & say to myself.. it was not all that bad to be bored (little joke) everyday; would have more $$$ money too. However, seriously.. No (I think) complaints, I will have the personal satisfaction of doing these repairs and have good boat to sail via my work effort (abor of love).

Avery

Last edited by HighFly_27; 11-01-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: miatakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today

Congrats and good luck!
Old 11-01-2012

SOVT is on a distinguished road

Congratulations. Bringing an old boat back to life can be a really rewarding experience.
Good luck
scurvy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SOVT; 11-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-01-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Yeah what chef2sail said, I think you are going to need it. Get busy now because in
a week or two its going to be summer again in Florida and then it will be too hot and buggy to work on the boat.

Do you think the cable inside the mast was to put the mast under compression?
Old 11-01-2012

Up Loaded Pic's of: 1970 Islander 37 MS

Mast, Rudder, 4 X 4 in. Hole, Prop. & Shaft, Sides of Boats and Rear View.

Purpose.. members to comment on Repairs and ID of outside cable, or may be orginal, I mentioned what the driver said - " add on item to mast. "

Note: You will see the double eye connection, I will show attachment point in next series.

Avery

best contact address -- arbakerjr@hotmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-004.jpg   I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-008.jpg   I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-020.jpg   I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-018.jpg   I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-038.jpg  

Old 11-01-2012

2nd Series, showing: attachment cable (double loop) point, prop. & shaft and sides.

Again, wondering if the driver had a vaild point, this picture shows the double eye connection, perhaps it's a oversized splice... I don't know, what say yee ?

Avery
Attached Thumbnails
I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-028.jpg   I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-012.jpg   I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-039.jpg   I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-031.jpg   I Just had Xmas on Halloween, Boat Delivered Today-islander-37-ms-023.jpg  

Old 11-01-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
Well Today.. was the big day and I was like a ten YO on Xmas, looking at my watch and waiting for Santa (truck driver, no red suit) to come. I live in the FL sticks (8 mile N. of Bonifay) on a dirt road. The Islander caught some overhead limbs on the way up my 400 yard lane (Santa flying too close to the ground). No damage, just small limbs and somthing I will cut away when I truck it out again.

The driver has been in this business for sometime and I recommend him. He did not over $$ charge me, he designed his boat trailer, it picks up & lets the boat down on the spot, a real pro too. I use to haul boats and have an idea on what is what in rating drivers & prices, he's a good man.

Now, I did not see see this (mast cable) or realize this may be an issue when I looked at the -- 1970 Islander 37 MS, last Monday (22 Oct.). The driver pointed out that the mast had a added cable for support. I took some close up pictures but can't find my cable to connect camera to computer. I looked inside the mast and saw the signs (at base) of -- thinning of metal (?) and speckles of brown (corrosion). I thought that this may be normal for a 42 year old mast. I'm not knowledgeable enough to ID the added cable (name given) going up the side of the mast. The driver said, it looks like someone was trying to save money; they added this 3/8" inch cable to stiffen the mast under sail (?). I will have some pictures later on... to show what I'm trying to describe.

Items to Fix:

Rudder Repair or Replacement with (2 ft. busted off); Repair 4 x 4 in. hole in stern, it's near top and simple repair; re-rig or replace cables (sloopy) going to cabin wheel; re-service Adler Barbour Sys., it's not cooling as it should be; Batt Pro. 1230 Marine Sys. is not charging; lot's of painting & cleaning on a old boat but not a neglected boat. The former owner said that he saw the signs of termites beneath the cold box. When I was 1st told about the signs of termites.. I could not figure how that would happen on a boat. I was told that they have wings and just show up and not uncommon to see them, it happens.

I will have some pictures in a day or so and may start a log and post pictures as I progress from one item to another. I'm retired... have a fairly big project in front of me. I was bored (bought I37) before; I think that I may reflect back to my bored days & say to myself.. it was not all that bad to be bored (little joke) everyday; would have more $$$ money too. However, seriously.. No (I think) complaints, I will have the personal satisfaction of doing these repairs and have good boat to sail via my work effort (abor of love).

Avery
We are all really quick to name names when we deal with a crook or an idiot. You found a good, reliable mover, why not name him ?
Old 11-01-2012

I did Not Know if I was going against the rules and did not list his name. I'd be glad to list his name (below) and stand behind him (my recommendation).

His name -- Bo Smith, Cell Tel. -- 601 - 201 - 9135

177 W. Phillps Lake Rd.
Braxton, MS 39044

Email Cnt. -- bo@smithsboatsalvage.com

Info. on my Paid Rate & Mileage. 234 miles (Biloxi to Bonifay) and permitted for -- MS, AL and FL (3) states. Normal rate, around $ 1,400.00 from Bo Smith. I paid $ 900.00 (total).

Now, to cut cost, we tied my delivery into his travel in the area (Biloxi) from his location in Braxton, MS. He does not require crane service and picks up and drops which saves bucks at both ends. Currently, he can handle a pay load of 22,000 + lbs. and 42 ft. in length. He has a second trailer being built, that will handle bigger boats & weights in the near furure. If I had paid for crane or fork lift service at both ends, my cost would have been about --
$ 1800 to $ 2,500.00 (best guess), I paid $ 900.00 bucks.

He travels 48 states but mostly local and does boat recovery as well.

I think he's a " Good Man " ! He treated me 100%, with great price & service. Bo did Not Fool Me Around & his story never changed (price as quoted).

Avery
Old 11-01-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Thanks Avery. Being in the marine business I hear about the bad guys all the time, particularly in my profession. I like to see credit given when its due.
SloopJonB likes this.