Seacock Drip (Spartan) - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-01-2012 Thread Starter

Seacock Drip (Spartan)

I am kind of at a loss. I have a seacock that I can not stop from dripping, about 2-3 drips per second, so it's significant. It is an old Spartan and was removed and lapped within the last year by a boatyard.

I am finding that even after loosening the locknut and tightening the inner nut the drip remains, and of course at that point it is impossible to move the handle without a hammer. I have loosened it and turned it a number of times but can't stop the leak.

My question is, is there anything I can do to stop the leak without a haulout? I am in Italy and can't be hauled out easily.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things y%^&*.....oh never mind. 90% of the people on sailing forums already use that as their signature! I'm not a conformist.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-01-2012
Barquito

Re: Seacock Drip (Spartan)

Was there any significant loss of metal when they were last removed? Maybe they got thin enough to spring a leak? I replaced one that was only leaking a little (see photo).
Attached Thumbnails
arg.jpg  

Bristol 27
Cirque
post #3 of 10 Old 11-05-2012 Thread Starter

Just saw this Barq.... Wow.... What happened to that? That's scary. Is that A Spartan? Looks to be heavy duty bronze.

Still haven't solved my issue yet, but am planning to follow Mainesail's advice and put a stopper under the boat and then relap it and see if the leak will stop...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things y%^&*.....oh never mind. 90% of the people on sailing forums already use that as their signature! I'm not a conformist.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-24-2012 Thread Starter

Still wondering if there is any way to grease the Spartan seacock while it is in the water. Can you put grease in via the winter drain plug?

post #5 of 10 Old 11-24-2012

Hmm..never seen one like that...maybe some plumbers tape? Or hell..if i couldnt fix it soon..I would 3M 5200 it...unless it is an intake for something you need...or maybe you could look for quick replacement of same thread but good luck all around...I've heard seacock drip can be a nasty affair...

Last edited by souljour2000; 11-24-2012 at 02:33 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-24-2012

That's some waist that's been worn into the plug. Slather trailer wheel bearing grease on the plug before you reassemble. It stopped a drip for me but my plug wasn't showing that much wear, however.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Was there any significant loss of metal when they were last removed? Maybe they got thin enough to spring a leak? I replaced one that was only leaking a little (see photo).
That crack looks like freeze damage to me. If seacocks are closed in freezing weather the hole through the plug holds enough to freeze and crack it. Tapered plug valves are extremely reliable and and only require lubrication to prevent siezing, and not to actually do the sealing.

However the parts must have a close fit. Also the plug must seat against the taper before it bottoms out. If you lap a valve that has already bottomed out it is still going to leak, and tightening to nut does nothing except make it hard to turn. I'd pull the plug and examine it for wear. I'd also closely inspect the shoulder at the bottom of the taper to see if it is rubbing against the bottom of the body, a sure sign the wear is excessive. You may be able to get more life out of it by having a machine shop cut the shoulder back a little farther at the stud so the plug can go deeper into the taper without bottoming. You'll probably want to to relap it after that.

A real marine machine shop might even have a tapered reamer to resize the housing so an oversize plug could be fitted.

Gary H. Lucas
post #8 of 10 Old 11-25-2012

A possible way to adjust the seacock while the boat is in the water is installing a tapered wood plug in the thru hull from underneath the boat. You need to know the diameter of the thru hull usually written on the handle or at the base of the seacock. Using that information get a wood plug to cover the diameter of the hole. Tapping it in but not overjamming since the wood will likely swell to tighten the hole. You might need a diver or some kind of air support, unless of course the thru hull is at or near the surface then possibly a snorkel might suffice. getting the plug out use a larger set of pliers turning back and forth gently. It sounds like the seacock needs replacement.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-25-2012

Plugging the inlet from outside is easy way while you pull the cone for lapping or whatever. I've installed or replace many transducers and thruhulls using a plumbers rubber cup and diver (me) on the wet side and tight fitting rubber hose in the hole to reach up past waterline on the dry side.Timing is important but beats hauling the larger vessels
post #10 of 10 Old 11-28-2012

That plug is junk!!! It's fractured through to the hole it appears, and looks like it's been for quite a while by the color of the fracture I would never trust my boat in the water with that in there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.