SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pro Furling System CC 37

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I am having a Pro Furl system put on to replace the old system that had hank on sails and roller furling only. The head stay rotated when you furled the sail and rolled the sail on the stay. Good for furling but not for reefing!The new system drum is a little higher than the bow pulpit and I think that is a little too high. Does any one know how high above the deck a furler should be and still not chafe the sail on the bow pulpit or life lines? The old system was on the deck and the sails were always rubbing both.I need to know ASAP in order to keep them from cutting the sail too short.Will have to add longer top alumimun extrusion to lower drum. Thanks Pilgram

#2 ·
I wouldn''t think concern for chafing on the lifelines, rails, or stancions should mandate drum height, it''s just a fact of life to live with, with perhaps an exception if you are voyaging around the world where chafe deserves such concern.
As to the height of the drum, IMHO make as low as possible to max the luff length. Consider room for the anchor if you carry one in a bow roller. Have a sailmaker measure/calculate the new luff length, cutting down a sail is expensive and you don''t want to get it wrong (whci i can tell you is easy to do...)
Good luck.

#3 ·
In general, if you are crusing, use the "long" links provided with your ProFurl system. If you are racing and intend to use the Profurl without the drum, you want to get the "short" links or cut the links down yourself in order to get the sail as close to the deck as possible. If you keep the sail off the deck you not only will have better visability as you will be able to see under the sail but also in will not ship water when you are taking breakers over the bow.

#4 ·
I understand what you are saying, it just looks out of place being so high with the long links.It is higher than the bow pulpit and looks wrong. I am going to talk to them about lowering it so it is below the bow pulpit but not down on the deck. I am having my 150 genoa cut to fit by them so I want it to be right. Nance/Underwood is doing the work for me.I went through all my mags and could find verry few boats with a furler this high. 98% were below the bow pulpit. Thanks for your imput Pilgram

#5 ·
I replaced a furling system similiar to the old one you describe with a ProFurl LC32. The links that came with it placed it about one half the height of the pulpit which is just right for me.

It''s high enough to clear the bow roller stowed anchor. (the old one was too low and interfered with retrieving the anchor)Yet doesn''t reduce the luff length that much.

As mentioned earlier, just cut the links to what ever height you like. I really like the new furler! I''m sure you will also.

Fairwinds,

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.