Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012

FDR14127 is on a distinguished road
Re: Blue Sea custom electrical panel opinions

While you are in the process of redesign, I would replace the AC main with the new Blue Seas ELI. Peace of mind about stray current and cheap insurance coverage for less than $200. Lots of links here discussing ELI features. Google is your friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

I think the panel looks good. I'd also suggest keeping room for expansion. I'd move the main battery switch off first. I tend to think that's best located down near the batteries. You only need to switch that twice per trip (if you're still doing 1-2-all switching for starting, running etc then you should add a battery relay and you'll be done with that). I've got that same bluesea voltage gauge and while it looks nice, analog isn't great for accuracy because it's hard to read precisely. Did you think about a battery monitor?
Old 11-02-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of consolidating circuits, but this is a pretty small and simple boat and adding a sub panel in the cockpit seems like it would be more work than the ease of flipping on the nav lights at the helm station might justify. I'll look at it and see how much work that would involve, though.

I am pretty sure that if I go the custom panel route I'm going to move the battery switch off the new panel, though, and add a few spare breakers on the DC side and ditch the ammeter and add a few spare AC breakers. Looking at the stock AC and DC panels that Chef suggest has gotten me to thinking about going that route and moving the whole show away from the companionway and creating some better physical separation between the AC and DC circuits and gear.

So many things to consider!

Thanks again for the comments and ideas.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 11-02-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Fiddly screws. That berough back flashbacks..I can relate todropping a few of them. I found a magnetic screwdriver helped.

Wouldnt it be better to have the nav stuff on different circuts in case one was out or you wanted to save energy and not run certain instruments all the time.

Dave
That is what the "sub panel" would be for, you then don't need all as many switches on the main panel dedicated to instruments. It can be located close to the devices, so you could turn off all instruments at once, or have it on and then turn on or off the ones you need while in front of them. I like the idea of the cockpit control of the navigation/seaming/anchor/spreader lights, but how long do those waterproof switches stay waterproof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
I like the idea of consolidating circuits, but this is a pretty small and simple boat and adding a sub panel in the cockpit seems like it would be more work than the ease of flipping on the nav lights at the helm station might justify. I'll look at it and see how much work that would involve, though.

I am pretty sure that if I go the custom panel route I'm going to move the battery switch off the new panel, though, and add a few spare breakers on the DC side and ditch the ammeter and add a few spare AC breakers. Looking at the stock AC and DC panels that Chef suggest has gotten me to thinking about going that route and moving the whole show away from the companionway and creating some better physical separation between the AC and DC circuits and gear.

So many things to consider!

Thanks again for the comments and ideas.
Keeping it simple is good, I think a digital meter might be more useful anyway, and likely be able to do multiple things. The companionway is the worst, but very convenient, especially in an emergency.
Old 11-02-2012

Also - FDR - I googled various combinations of Blue Sea ELI and AC Main and stray current and searched for ELI on the Blue Sea website but didn't find anything that looked what you were referring to. Is it somehting that provides galvanic isolation or something that acts as an isolation transformer? I am thinking about adding a galvanic isolator, by the way, as part of this project. Just need to see if I can get the funding approved!
1981 Endeavour 32

- Wendell Berry
Old 11-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
adding a sub panel in the cockpit seems like it would be more work than the ease of flipping on the nav lights at the helm station might justify.
I concur - keep the absolute minimum of electrical stuff on deck. Turning on the nav lights hardly requires instantaneous response time.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
Blue sea panels are great. You probably already know this, but use the correct crimper (Compass Marine's Photo Galleries at pbase.com ), and a quality wire stripper was also a huge help and timesaver.

I replaced a sub panel with Blue Sea and really love it, especially the the backlit labels, which are so good I may also replace my main panel. The entire look and feel is vastly superior. It also provided a great opportunity to replace spaghetti with neater more rational wiring. I used a lot of the cheap plastic "spiral wrap" (as well as the usual hanging and regular ties) to hold bundles of wires together.

The only surprise in the project was was the number - and cost - of connector used. Especially is you use the heat-shrink variety. That blew my budget. In some places, due to differences in wire length or organization, I ran a set of wires from the panel to a terminal block - double the number of connectors, and a block!

Like eherlihy's, I also consolidated the nav circuits; I put in a small fusebox to protect individual circuits.

My biggest timesink was dropping those fiddly screws - especially for the ground bus and the terminal blocks - into the bilge.

Enjoy! It's a fun project, and you'll never look back.....
Thanks for the link, Paul....I have been using one of the Klein dimple type crimpers for years and along with the cheaper vinyl insulated terminals it's time, probably beyond time, to upgrade to a crimper designed for the heat shrink insulated terminals. Part of this panel replacement exercise will include sorting out some of the old spaghetti of wiring, removing the abandoned wiring, replacing wiring and / or terminations on everything I can get to, and, of course, fishing fiddly screws out of the bilge! You could trademark a magnetic screwdriver under the "Fiddly Screw Saver" name.......
1981 Endeavour 32

- Wendell Berry
Old 11-03-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Andy,

Couple of thoughts..

#1 Blue Sea makes EXCELLENT quality stuff. Especially with panels you get a LOT for your money.

#2 f re-wiring an E-32 I would strongly advise any customer to consider re-locating that AC/DC panel. That location is HORRIBLE on any boat... Why? Just look at your picture..

#3 I generally dislike battery switches mounted in DC panels. They take up useful space, can extend large gauge runs longer than necessary and make for bulky opening panels.. They can also make certain loads over current protection difficult.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-03-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You could trademark a magnetic screwdriver under the "Fiddly Screw Saver" name.......
Not if you're a responsible boat owner - you shouldn't be using ferrous fasteners.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Andy,

Couple of thoughts..

#1 Blue Sea makes EXCELLENT quality stuff. Especially with panels you get a LOT for your money.

#2 f re-wiring an E-32 I would strongly advise any customer to consider re-locating that AC/DC panel. That location is HORRIBLE on any boat... Why? Just look at your picture..

#3 I generally dislike battery switches mounted in DC panels. They take up useful space, can extend large gauge runs longer than necessary and make for bulky opening panels.. They can also make certain loads over current protection difficult.
Thanks for the comments and suggetions, MaineSail - I agree that this is the time to relocate the panel (or panels if I end up going with separate off the shelf AC and DC panels).....I'm just not sure where to put it / them. The starboard side is too congested already with galley stuff, so I'm leaning toward either building an enclosure on the bulkhead on the port side of the companionway (where the fire exinguisher and flare box are in the picture below) or putting it in the boookshelf area above the port settee (right side of the picture below the portlight).

In either case I'll put the battery switch below the VHF. The house bank is directly behind that location and the tarting battery is behind the bottom step. The area where the panel is now is big enough to make a nice little pantry locker, also, which will be nice to have.

Have you seen other E32s that have had the panel relocated to a different location?

Good point about the non-ferrous crews, by the way SloopJonB......I guess there's no escaping the fiddly-ness of those dadgum little buggers, huh?
1981 Endeavour 32

- Wendell Berry