SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Prop for my 9.9 Merc used for a sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/93704-prop-my-9-9-merc-used-sailboat.html)

Mjfossler 11-02-2012 08:01 AM

Prop for my 9.9 Merc used for a sailboat

Wondering if a more efficient prop could be used for my outboard on my O'Day 272? I have the factory one now. The Mercury website was no help at all. Any guidance appreciated!

dbruce85 11-02-2012 10:25 AM

Re: Prop for my 9.9 Merc used for a sailboat

When I had my Pearson 26, I changed the prop on my 9.9 Evenrude.
I can't remember the exact sizes but I went from about a 9.5 pitch to about a 6.5 pitch.
It did make a difference in reverse and I had a bit more thrust at low speeds but I did lose a bit of top end speed

chucklesR 11-02-2012 10:51 AM

The previous owner of my Nissan 5hp 2stroke swapped out the prop for a high thrust, it made a huge difference.
I use it on my 135 pound 9'6" rib and it can plane me along at 17mph. Most 'experts' will tell you it takes a 8hp to do that. It also planes my heavy 10'6" wooden bottom Achilles dinghy.

Here's a link that shows what's available for you from just one vendor, it pays to shop around.
Solas High Thrust Propeller RubexProps

The down side of a high thrust is prop walk and higher boat speed at idle (and RPM will have to be adjusted upward because the load on the engine is greater).

Gene T 11-02-2012 10:59 AM

You would generally want to go down in pitch to give you more power and up in diameter to give you more efficient bite. More blades will help too. The prop that comes standard is meant for a boat that planes.

boats.net is a good source.

Gene

Sumner10 11-02-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjfossler (Post 941839)
Wondering if a more efficient prop could be used for my outboard on my O'Day 272? I have the factory one now. The Mercury website was no help at all. Any guidance appreciated!

You don't give the year of the Mercury, but if it is pretty new then it was made by Tohatsu and probably uses the same props.

We bought a 9.8 HP Extra Long Shaft Tohatsu and it comes with a 4 blade 5 pitch very high thrust prop standard. Since our Mac isn't real heavy we switched to a 4 blade 7 pitch that worked very well in tidal currents in Florida.

If the Tohatsu props work I'd go with the 4 blade 5 pitch for your boat and they probably list that prop in the Merc parts also.

Make the change and you will like it then you will also have a backup prop also,

Sum

=======================================

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...avour-sm-1.jpg

CS Cruiser 11-02-2012 04:22 PM

I have the 4 blade 5 pitch high thrust on my Oday 28 and its awesome. I don't encounter tidal currents, but with the XL shaft on my 9.8 tohatsu its been great in the great lakes.

pvanv1 11-03-2012 10:21 AM

Yes indeed. the 4-blade HT props work great on sailboats (I have one on my HR-28 with Nissan 9.8A3). Depending on which Merc 9.9 you have (modern ones are actually Tohatsu/Nissan 9.8 motors), you can use the Tohatsu (Solas) HT prop very effectively. You can drop me an email at the office: paul@obersheimersails.com, and I'll be happy to help you.

Mjfossler 11-03-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvanv1 (Post 942280)
Yes indeed. the 4-blade HT props work great on sailboats (I have one on my HR-28 with Nissan 9.8A3). Depending on which Merc 9.9 you have (modern ones are actually Tohatsu/Nissan 9.8 motors), you can use the Tohatsu (Solas) HT prop very effectively. You can drop me an email at the office: paul@obersheimersails.com, and I'll be happy to help you.

My engine is a 2010, so sounds like it would work. Thanks, will email you.