SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Choice of USA Grown Wood for Rebuilding (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/93713-choice-usa-grown-wood-rebuilding.html)

HighFly_27 11-02-2012 12:19 PM

Choice of USA Grown Wood for Rebuilding

This Morrning, I Removed All (most) of the Cover's and Lift Up Panels on the I-37.

I saw the tell tail signs of wood breakdown that was attached to the sides of the hull. The white paint was funky and some of the marine plywood pushed away from the structure (away from hull). My camera went dead and I could not take these pictures, will provide later.

My Question, can I use USA (domestic) wood to replace these bad areas. I understand that the marine plywood is bought from a supplier. I'm asking about 2 X 3 (?) or so structure members (boat is 42 YO). I see these problems in two seperate areas, (1st) closet on starboard side, (about) mid cabin and (2nd) further to the rear of boat, just outside the cabin, starboard side.

My Father (passed 2009) had a lot of -- Oak (White & Red), Ash, Cherry, Cedar, Walnut and Yellow Locust stored away. He had other wood too but don't remember them all, but still stored in a shed in the dry.

I just did a search on SNet. and did not find enough to lead me in the right direction (to pick the right materials).

No# 1 Question -- Would the Oak or Ash I have be a good wood to repair my boat ? I'm (really) asking.. would the Oak or another wood (?) be one of the best woods to use to replaced the bad wood (structure framing) on my I-37 ?

Also, would it be a good idea to treat (DIY pressure treatment) this wood with a recommended

_______________ ** name brand X) treatment solution prior to use ?

I have the plans for making a 16 foot pressure tank. I was thinking about building this tank anyway to treat (SYP) pine posts so they will not rot. I have two saw mills and do my own sawing; Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) is cheap around here (Bonifay) in FL. I have a number of SYP logs to saw up for building my pole building.

I have a complete (planers, routers, jointers, moisture meter, saws, etc.) wood working shop and can make about anything, I do not need to buy any tooling.

(A) What USA Wood is the Best for Structure Members (bulk head framing)

1st Choice _____________ 2nd _______________ 3rd __________________ ?

(B.) What Wood Treatment 1st Choice _____________2nd ______________

3rd __________________________ would you use ?

(C.) What Paint is the Best for Applying to Treated Wood 1st ______________

2nd _____________________________ 3rd ___________________________ ?

Note: I like Oil Based Paints and the newer water base paint is Not on my recommended list. I'm new to marine repair work and will listen to the folks that know what materials that work the best. I do not care to buy materials from other country's when USA Domestic Wood will be (nearly) just as good.

Remember, I'm in the process of building my own 16 foot pressure tank from scrap (have to weld it together) materials to treat SYP for a pole building.

Anything else that I forgot to Ask.. Please Include in Your Advice. I have bought a couple books on -- Boat Repairs. These 2 books cover all levels (minor to major) of repairs (wood, fiberglass, elect., engines, etc.). They will (not likely) cover the choice of USA Woods and Pressure Treatment and then Painting. These books will cover over the counter purchases and OEM repair parts for one on one replacement items.

Thanks in Advance,

Avery

Best Contact EMail arbakerjr@hotmail.com

Captainmeme 11-02-2012 12:46 PM

Re: Choice of USA Grown Wood for Rebuilding

Googling "rot resistant wood" came up with white oak (think USS Ironsides), locust and cedar (white and western red). Locust is used for fence post here in east TN. Save the walnut and cherry for interior work. They use ash for tillers. Not sure I would use red oak on the exterior. I do make saw dust in the basement also. As far as treatment, I'd use a penetrating epoxy to seal the wood. You have to protect the epoxy from the sun's UV with either varnish or paint. Since you are in Florida I would think cypress would be available also. I have never worked with cypress.

bljones 11-02-2012 01:40 PM

All of your answers in one place:

Boat building lumber and plywood

misfits 11-02-2012 02:31 PM

You could create your own micro lams or lvls for stuctural beams using marine plywood.

chucklesR 11-02-2012 02:38 PM

White oak is fine for structural work, I'd recommend Smith's CPES as the sealant. Everything you want to last should be sealed, and if exposed to the sun it should be painted or varnished with mutliple coats.

The red should be used to heat the pole building, same for the SYP and yellow locust.

Hardwoods (walnut, ash etc..) use for decoration or interior stuff, ditto the cherry.

As to type of paint, that's on you - there are many out there.

HighFly_27 11-02-2012 02:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Misfits,

Using Marine Plywood as Lam's. is a No# 1 Idea and Good Way to Go, simple to do.

Here's some shot's of the bad stuff, a little worst then what I thought. I got some new batterys and took these shots. When I started moving some gear around... I could see it better, it's much worst then I thought.

You will see 4 shots of the Worst Damage that is just outside the aft. cabin wall, starboard side. This is the area where the former owner reported termite damage (behind and under cold box). I think that this is the worst of it (4 shots) from a wood structure standpoint.

The 5th shot is mid cabin, starboard side. It looks like some (lighter) damage but nothing like the other one .. which needs replaced 100%.

Thanks for the Advice,

Avery

SloopJonB 11-02-2012 02:59 PM

For interior partitions, I never pay the price for marine ply - use good quality exterior ply and seal the edges with epoxy. Few, if any production builder use marine ply. In fact few, if any of them even seal the edges. Birch faces take paint much better than fir faces.

If you need to make cleat stock for setting ply against, the Gougeons had a neat trick - make them triangular instead of square or rectangular - you get the same mounting surfaces for 1/2 the weight. It makes the interior spaces a little neater as well.

Use white oak or good Douglas Fir in cases where you need lots of strength and/or high holding power for fasteners.

Use cedar if less strength is required - it weighs a LOT less. Yellow cedar is a great boatbuilding wood but can be unpleasant to use - I find I quickly get nauseous when I cut a lot of it. Any splinters quickly fester as well.

HighFly_27 11-02-2012 03:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's two shots of the mid ship damage, I did not get it loaded on the last post.

I just loaded 3 shots of the Mast Well. I did not see anything that concerned me here. The Mast Well did Not show and (big) signs of mosture or rot... that's a good thing.

misfits 11-02-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 942011)
For interior partitions, I never pay the price for marine ply - use good quality exterior ply and seal the edges with epoxy.

SJB,

What I saw for a big difference between marine grade ply & exterior was on the exterior there seems to be more voids in between the layers. The exterior ply I got didn't come from a home depot type of store either.

I was snapping after picking up the first sheet of 1/2" marine ply at $85.00 a pop so the next sheet of ply I got was exterior. First cut I was amazed at the voids, thought it was a fluke. Made a couple of more cuts & what was left of the sheet & the pieces got recycled into a staging platform for working on the boat.

The other thing w/ exterior grade ply, it is meant to be covered with something, siding, roofing. The stuff I recycled into the platform is beginning to delaminate but I didn't seal the edges either.

That was my experience with exterior grade ply anyway.

SloopJonB 11-02-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighFly_27 (Post 942013)
I just loaded 3 shots of the Mast Well. I did not see anything that concerned me here. The Mast Well did Not show and (big) signs of mosture or rot... that's a good thing.

It sure looks like you have some rotted mild steel at the bottom of the "mast well". That could equate to a deteriorated mast step.