SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bristol Finish (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/9373-bristol-finish.html)

Pilgram 03-21-2004 05:44 AM

Bristol Finish

Has any one used this product and how did you like it? Did you use it over varnish or clean wood? They say you can do it either way. I am trying it on my Irwin 37 on the teak hand rails and side moldings that already have varnish on them in good shape.Hope it last as long as they claim it will. Owned boat since 1990 and am tired of varnishing all the time to havt look good. Any comments would be welcome. Pilgram

SailorMitch 03-21-2004 06:34 AM

Bristol Finish

I''ve used Bristol Finish for about 3 years on my Pearson 27 with mixed results. It looks great and holds up real well -- on flat surfaces. It does not like to stick to sharp edges, such as my toe rail. The advice from the company was to round off the edges, which I did, but obviously not enough. Have the same problem even with applying more coats than they recommend. At $50 a quart it''s too expensive not to work on edges.

I have since bought a Pearson 33 and will use something else on the exterior teak -- either Honey Teak or Epifanes based on Practical Sailor test results.

Cetol sticks like glue to anything, but the yearly maintenance coats of it eventually darken so much you might as well have knotty pine for the exterior wood.

flydude3 03-22-2004 05:45 AM

Bristol Finish

I have just finished my hatch covers with bristol. Great looking finish. There is a bit of a learning curve applying the wet on wet method, but if it holds up half as good as they claim I''ll be happy. Lots of boaters asking what type of finish I used because it looks so good.

tumbleweed35 03-23-2004 04:55 PM

Bristol Finish

I used it about a year and a half ago and in 6 mos it was in pretty bad shape. Cracking and peeling in spots. I stripped to bare wood and followed the instructions. I was disappointed in the appearance, I have used varnish for the last 15 years and the bristol didn''t compare with varnish, however many people commented that it looked good. I have to admit it looks better than cetol. Now if I can get the rest of it off I am going back to varnish, at least the varnish manufacturers don''t make claims of lasting two years in the florida sun

sailnaway 03-30-2004 05:49 AM

Bristol Finish

I have to side with tumbleweed35 I have tried all kinds of stuff even tried making some combinations of stuff. Varnish looks like the best to me it requires several coats but if done right its hard to beat it. A good spar varnish is hard as nails and will hold up ok but nothing stands the Florida sun for to long. The solar index in Florida and the Carib is about 97 so figure it out you can make a copper box like a bread box copper is close to the color of teak and you can cook your lunch in it. We had one some of us guys pop rivited togather and heated stuff like a microwave. The teak is cooking like that all day every day.