Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Toe Rail Replacement with White Oak or ?

Cumaru is another excellent choice for the toerail. I'm surprised these woods are so readily available in North America!
Old 11-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Highfly,
My teak toe rail is also in very poor shape (cracks, holes), I plan to fill and fair with epoxy and will use wood flour as an additive filler. Here is a source:

MAS Epoxies Wood Flour

It is amazing the repairs you can do with epoxy, and a good feeling when you bring back a piece of wood that most would think should be thrown out.

Regards

Last edited by casey1999; 11-05-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Teak is definitely the best choice. There are some other less expensive woods if you can find them. Canarywood is one. Locust is very rot resistant. I would not use oak or mahogany. They are both subject to rot rather quickly if not completely sealed all the time which, as we know, is really not feasible. The characteristics of hardness, workability, and rot-resistance are not present in many woods.
Old 11-05-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

smurphny I'd have to disagree with you about mahogany being subject to rot. That's true of Philippine mahogany (luan) but not of South American mahogany. Unfortunately there are a number of woods being marketed as mahogany that include: Philippine mahogany, Indonesian mahogany, Santos mahogany and African mahogany. All have grains similar to the real thing and are fine for interior woodwork but some have drawbacks. African mahogany expands and contracts more, especially outdoors which can cause the finish to fail and luan is not as rot resistant. I haven't had the opportunity to work with Santos mahogany so I can't comment on it. That's why I specified South American mahogany in my original post.

I do agree with you that ANY wood used on a boat should be properly sealed before installation.

The real gem is Cuban mahogany, but that's a subject for another post.

BTW, I learned the hard way with African/Indonesian mahogany (khaya). I still have about a thousand board feet in my shop, but it will only be used for interior projects.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 11-05-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Cumaru is another excellent choice for the toerail. I'm surprised these woods are so readily available in North America!

I wouldn't call them readily available. But they can be found. My new favourite is Garapa. As a deck builder, I've installed a about 10,000 feet of of Ipe Decking, and just started working with Garapa.
It's easier to work with, cheaper, and I find the grain to be more consistent. If I ever had to replace teak on a boat, I think it would be my first choice.
smurphny likes this.
Old 11-05-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

I think teak is most people's first choice because it has been used in the marine industry for so long, not because it is inherently "better" than other woods. In my experience, the best wood for the outside of boats is Arariba, but just try finding it at your lumberyard!
Old 11-05-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

There certainly are alternate woods to use in place of teak. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether it is available anywhere nearby. I would love to try some of the woods you guys have mentioned.

As far as the mahogany discussion goes, I guess I have just removed too much rotten mahogany over the years to ever choose it if something else is available. I've owned many wood boats and have dug out mahoganies of probably every species under the sun. On 20s-50s boats there was a lot of very high quality mahogany, beautiful tight grained stuff, but once it gets fresh-water wet in an end grain, it's just a matter of time until you can poke a knife through it with little effort. Just my opinion but given a choice as to a species for planking, topsides, decks, bulkheads, etc. mahogany would be pretty far down the list. It's best attribute is that it's beautiful when varnished and easy to work with.

In the construction industry mahogany is becoming more available for decking. Anyone using it is in for a sad surprise in not too many years. They may as well use white pine. Yellow pine is still a MUCH better wood for this and is also appropriate for boat structures. Long-leaf yellow pine, if you can find it, is almost as rot resistant as locust. It's ugly as the dickens but has good rot resistance. In the woods, locust can lay on the ground for many years without the slightest sign of rot. It's pretty amazing. Cedars are great but much too soft for most things. Firs/spruces all rot fairly quickly although some have excellent weight/strength ratios for spars and such.
Old 11-05-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Hey HighFly!

Just took a look at your pictures – looks like you have a lot of sanding in your future.

From the pictures, the wood looks sound and I would expect it to respond well to refinishing but it is very weathered and I really think it should be removed to seal it on all sides and then re-bedded (along with the other hardware). I know it's a PITA but you'll get better results, the actual refinishing will be easier off the boat and you can refit it, nice and watertight, over your new paint.

If the non-slip is painted on (looks like it) and sound, you might be able to scuff it up and paint on some kiwi grip or similar. But that crazed paint definitely needs to go so that you have a sound surface to paint. I'm no expert on paining fiberglass so I’ll leave that for others to comment on but, in case you haven’t found them already, here’s a little light reading.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Easiest way to repaint the deck?

options for painting my deck

Kiwigrip advice needed

fiberglass textured deck repair questions

Non-skid worn down to fiberglass
Old 11-06-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Once the water gets in, oak goes black, right to the core.
Old 12-08-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I just replaced my Oak tiller with black locust and am very happy with it. I can't see why black locust isn't used more often, it is strong, durable, good looking and alot cheaper than "exotic" woods....maybe that's it, it's not exotic. My cap rail is a dark mahogany. If you want something that looks sort of like teak but is alot less expensive Silver Bali would work (just be careful because it can check, you can tell right of it is going to though). It is often called "poor man's teak" and is being used as an alternate for teak decks. I recently built a boom gallows, winch mounts, compass mount/bridge deck,companionway doors, mid-ship hatch and combing for deck hatch using 2" Silver Bali. When fresh the color looks like Balsa, when varnished and exposed to the sun it darkens up nicely. It's a hard wood, easy to work with chisels, planes, spoke shaves or router.I have worked extensively with the wood myself and am sitting here looking at the schooner Martha which was decked with it. Here is a discussion about it on the wooden boat forum. Silver Bali Wood

detailed info:
http://www.hardwoodlumbersuppliers.c...lverballi.html
NOTE:There is a hard (used for boat building) and soft silverbali
I personally really like the wood, it is supposed to have most of the characteristics of teak as far as strength, durability and rot resistance. Three of the qualities of teak it lacks, it's not as heavy, expensive and the lower silica content doesn't dull tools as fast (which makes it easyer to work with).

Last edited by wolfenzee; 12-08-2012 at 02:20 PM.