Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Radar reflector usage

I assume that larger boats normally have permanently installed radar reflectors but for those of us with smaller boats, having one permanently installed is problematic as they take up too much room even aloft. All of them are also problematic to stow too. My Davis one I keep permanently assembled but it is fragile and takes up a lot of space.
So, why not a radar reflector that stows flat in a bag and then pops open when pulled out for use? When you want to stow it, it collapses back into the bag.
No, it is not inflatable as I thought of that and I would worry about getting holes in it and I hate blowing things up.
Being collapsible, it could also be made with a larger area than most others.
It would be one of the Octahedral types and mounted so that when hung it would be in the correct "catch rain" position and weighted so it would always hang that way even when heeled.
Now, for the catch. Cost. Unless I find some dollar/hour foreign workers, it isnt going to be less than $100, probably $150.

Assembled, it is very lightweight and robust. I have it hung from a light fixture at home and when my neighbors come over, they walk around it for a few minutes before they finally ask what it is. Then we toss it around a bit for fun.

Cannot post any pics due to possible patent issues.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Re: Radar reflector usage

Sounds fragile. Without a shell to protect it in heavy air, I would be hesitant to use it myself.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 11-03-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Frog,

The first thing is to show that it actually works. Many passive radar reflectors really don't actually reflect anything, and even when they do, don't work once they are healed past about 10 degrees.
Flybyknight and rikhall like this.
Old 11-03-2012
benjiwoodboat

benjiwoodboat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to benjiwoodboat

I like the idea -- let's see pics ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

How does it differ from the folding radar reflectors on the market either

DAVIS DELUXE HANGING ECHOMASTER RADAR REFLECTOR [CWR_42748] - $62.40 : Quality Marine Supply - Your Online Boating Store

Or

Radar Reflector 12in Standard - Marine Super Store

And again I would ask, have you done any reflectivity studies on your designs? All of the passive reflectors of this style I am familure with do a very poor job of actually reflecting radar energy. Which is why active reflectors are so popular.
Old 11-03-2012

Those reflectors do NOT fold in spite of what they say. I have the Davis. You take them apart and they stow flat. Taking them apart and putting them together is a pain.
However, these are actually the BEST if they are hung in the correct orientation and if they are kept in that orientation. However, they (Davis, Plastimo)are designed to be hung in a rigid manner (WHY fer gods sake). Mine is weighted and is hung via a line going thru it so no matter how much you heel it maintains the correct orientation.
There is only one type that would be better (maybe) and that is a very expensive Luneberg lens type.
We hit mine with a broom handle and of course it distorted but it sprung back into shape.
Mine, you pull its line to get it out of its ripstop nylon tube (flat) and it springs open. You connect 4 pieces of velcro and you are done. To put it back in, you pull on the line that runs thru the tube and it collapses back into the tube.
Old 11-04-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
No, it is not inflatable as I thought of that and I would worry about getting holes in it and I hate blowing things up.
Echomax make a couple of inflatables that have received good reviews.
Old 11-04-2012

Something that occurred to me that would be cool would be to make the reflector out of a good visible light reflector. It is just a big corner reflector and if it was a good visible light reflector too, just think what a Q beam that hit it would do. The return would really wake up whoever had the Q -beam.
So, make it out of a reflective polymer. Unfortunately, most such polymers aren't very robust. BUT, I have the answer, PEEK polymer. At .002" thick you cannot tear the stuff but you can coat it with Al. Not sure if the Al stays on it if it is "'scrunched up" (gonna haveta try it)
Old 11-04-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Frog,

The first thing is to show that it actually works. Many passive radar reflectors really don't actually reflect anything, and even when they do, don't work once they are healed past about 10 degrees.
So, what is an effective radar reflector in all conditions?
Transponder?
Dick
Old 11-04-2012

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

I have a reflector which i have never used, because i haven't really had to go out in fog yet with my current boat. I do however quite often ask other captains over the VHF if they can see me on their radar, so far, all have had good signal. I suspect that with HD radar and the new Broadband radar that things will improve even more in the future.

Mitch

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.