Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Re: Autopilot replacement recommendations

I am going to email Simrad asking them if the X5 and associated functions would be competitive to my network.
Could always treat the autopilot as a standalone system but kind of defeats the effort and costs that I put into the upgraded systems.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2012
1979 C&C 30 MK1

flyingjib is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Simple heavy duty wheel pilot.

CPT Autopilot Inc.
Good stuff but I wish they would work on updating the aesthetics! It looks like a 70s toaster oven!

EDIT: I have a Simrad WP30 and I've been happy. Recently changed the drive belt and it works like a charm.

Last edited by flyingjib; 11-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Have a X5 for our C&C 35 MKIII and it works great. 15,000 lbs. Following seas has some trouble. It works thorugh C90w Raymarine system, but have used NMEA 2000 vs the seatalk, I also can be used in newowrk or stand alone mode.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-07-2012

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road

FWIW if the raymarine breaks it will take aprox. a month to get it repaired.Just had mine done.Also it is easier to get in touch with the leader of al quida in yemen than raymarine.marc
Old 12-27-2012

diz is on a distinguished road

Patrscoe, I tried to PM you back regarding this thread:

69570-simrad-sd10-autopilot.html

but it wouldn't let me as I don't have enough posts. Similarly, it won't let me post a link to that thread, but a search will get you there.

Here's a summary of what I attempted to send.

I worked up a plan for installing an SD10, and in the end I couldn't personally justify the work that would have required. So I went with an X5 wheelpilot instead. I sold my NSS7 and replaced it with an e7 to have some degree of autopilot control from the MFD. The NSS has better autopilot control, but the e7 worked fine last summer. The X5 worked well also. It did throw an alarm once, and when I disengaged it I realized I had a ton of weather helm, so the alarm was due entirely to my ignorance. We threw in a reef and it took us the rest of the way to our destination without issue. Our boat is about 15,500 pounds.

Clearly a below deck autopilot has other benefits, but I couldn't get into the project given other things I have going on.

Good luck with your project!
Old 12-27-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

Diz, Thanks for your response and update.
Although I like the NSS7, Simrad seems to be a more expensive than others, and a little harder to find. Probably because they are less common than Raymarine or Garmin.

I sent a email to Simrad to see if the NSS and my Simnet backbone could integrate with the Raymarine X5 autopilot but currently received no response. Although the NSS is NMEA2000 compatible, my new Simrad Windvane-transducer is not compatible with Raymarine products.
What I want is a X5 but made by Simrad manufacturer so my system is compatible throughout. Also the X5 has a good price of around $1,600, complete. I am looking at about $2,800 for the below.
So my plan is to install the SD10 Simrad linear drive which comes with a built in rudder feed back, AC12 computer, RC42 compass and will use my NSS as the control.
Have a preliminary layout for the SD10 drive which will require some fabrication work.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 12-27-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I've read that Simrad's sail/wind feature is great. I'm looking at the ComNav, but every time I get close to pulling the trigger the old Autohelm starts working well again:-))
T37Chef likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-27-2012
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road

Anyone want a Simrad HLD350 MKII linear drive for $1,000.00? I bought it before I decided on the Raymarine linear drive unit instead as it fit my install better.
Old 12-29-2012

diz is on a distinguished road

Patrick,

I went down the same path - looking for a Simrad wheeldrive. They used to make them, and older units can be found on ebay, etc. I emailed Simrad when I was still shopping, and they told me they have no current plans to bring back a wheeldrive system.

I don't know how well the NSS would integrate w/ the raymarine autopilot control box. I believe the NSS documentation stated that autopilot control would only work w/ a Simrad autopilot. If you already have the NSS though, and you're into that type of work, it might be worth spending some time spent experimenting.

Due to the popularity of the NSS, I didn't take a big hit when I sold it (on ebay). Maybe $350 or so less than what I paid, including ebay fees, IIRC.
Old 12-30-2012

ncapener is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I've read that Simrad's sail/wind feature is great. I'm looking at the ComNav, but every time I get close to pulling the trigger the old Autohelm starts working well again:-))
I installed a ComNav 1420 three years ago. Last summer it quit. Took to the dealer I bought it from who sent it to Vancouver to fix. Diagnosed the control head to be water damaged beyond repair and would I please buy a new one. Since the control head is sold as "waterproof" I sent several emails to ComNav pleading my case for a free replacement. I did finally get a new free one. Total time:5 weeks.

Neal