Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-05-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road
help me with my hull to deck joint!!

Its moldy , I cleaned it ,
Edges are thin and sceptical but chainplates are sound structurally decent
I want to insulate or something thinking pink panther stuffed angled in the corner with crown molding??? Any opinions help!
Attached Thumbnails
help me with my hull to deck joint!!-img_20121104_092652.jpg   help me with my hull to deck joint!!-img_20121104_092643.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: help me with my hull to deck joint!!

On a previous boat all the deck joint hardware was hidden behind a sort of Valance hung from the underside of the deck, blocking the view of that unsightly area but not blocking access.. It seemed to work for us. It was a teak plywood strip screwed into a cleat pieces screwed into the underdeck.

A coat of paint would clean that up too and make it not seem so 'obvious'.. doing both would ease the occasional 'glimpse' you'll get behind the valance. I like Interlux's 'bilgekote' for that kind of work.

Something like this:

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 11-05-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2012

finding41 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to finding41

I would get rid of the mold before painting. I like the valance idea!
Old 11-12-2012

Faster thanks! I have the pieces you talk about but they are warped and old.. ill save them as templates and just have to do the same thing but with newer teak... except my pieces were completely blocked and screwed in. I had to remove them to see this. and to clean the mold.. ahh the joy of a good ole boat
Old 11-12-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

You do NOT want to put fiberglass insulation (pink panther) up into the space behind your valance or "crown moulding". It will soak up moisture and turn into a mold-generating, rot-spreading wick of horrible proportions. If you have to insulate, use a closed-cell foam of some type (the blue styrofoam, for example) that doesn't absorb moisture and which can be shaped to a close fit. Remember that you may need to get at the hull-deck joint again later - perhaps to track a leak or re-bed a stanchion - so don't glue stuff in there either. Perhaps you can put a screw through the valance every here & there to hold the foam in place. If you don't like the color of the insulation you may be able to paint the side that shows. (Watch out- some paints will dissolve foam!) Looks like you have enough to keep you busy until August or September, anyway. Enjoy!

Last edited by paulk; 11-12-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

P.S. Crown moulding would be an incredible bear to install because of the rolling bevels you'd have to put in on both the top and bottom edges. Nothing in a boat is flush, plumb, or level. Plus, there's not much to attach it to, and you'd need to make it removeable for access to the joint. The valance is the way to go if simple painting doesn't do the trick.
Old 11-13-2012

Paulk thanks! I reconsidered the panther after realizing exactly that. I like the foam idea along with behind a valance.
My original "crown moulding" was just a thin sheet of teak angled in the corner and screwed in every so often.

Tags
hull to deck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.