SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What is this piece of sailing gear? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/93887-what-piece-sailing-gear.html)

Frogwatch 11-07-2012 04:42 PM

What is this piece of sailing gear?

1 Attachment(s)
This belongs toa friend and I cannot locate him anymore. The company logo on it is "N M" with a stylized sailboat between the N and M. I looked up the patent number and it has something to do with winches.

sailordave 11-07-2012 04:51 PM

Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

Believe it's an old style jam cleat/clutch. I have some snatch blocks w/ the same logo; came w/ my boat.

bogdog 11-07-2012 04:52 PM

Looks like a jam cleat with a handle to help release the line being held.

RobGallagher 11-07-2012 04:53 PM

I believe it's a cleat.

chucklesR 11-07-2012 04:55 PM

Jam cleat, where the roundish knob on the handle goes into the winch, effectively holding the bitter end right at the winch (but not like a self tailer as it would not self tension).

smackdaddy 11-07-2012 04:59 PM

It's a two-speed Newbie-Whacker.

Geoff54 11-07-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 944727)
It's a two-speed Newbie-Whacker.

Don't be ridiculous! That's only the single speed version.

svHyLyte 11-07-2012 06:31 PM

It is a cam tightener from the '50's-60's. It was part of a fitting that included a bullseye through which a line was led, then through a cam cleat, and then a post, all on a backing plate typically fitted to a boom or mast on a small boat. One would slide the cam tightener over the post and lead the line over the wheel and under the cam on the handle. With that, one could "tail" the line with one hand and tighten it with the other and "crank" as needed. They were commonly used to tighten outhauls and reefing lines on booms that weren't large enough to take a winch but that needed a mechanical advantage to set the lines up properly or on small boat masts. One handle was all that was needed for several fittings. They actually worked pretty well.

FWIW...

Dean101 11-07-2012 07:17 PM

I like Smack's "newbie whacker" idea answer better even though everybody else seemed to concur on the jam cleat thing!:p

Frogwatch 11-07-2012 08:08 PM

Am trying to figure out if something like this could be used as a sort of "self tailing" winch handle although I actually dont understand how self tailing works and never felt I needed it.