Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-08-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers

I looked up this familiar phrase --

In Short... when the ship was lifted up & pounded hard in heavy seas... the phrase was coined

" Shiver the Timbers. "

This Exclamation or Expression will covey -- a feeling of fear, shock, surprse or awe.

I'm looking at a remodel (perhaps) job and none of those (above) words fit but makes me smile to use the Title of Shiver My Timbers as my catch'ee phrase.

Remodel Ideas:

I have a number of water stains (see pic'.) and that were caused by leakage.
The water leakage has been stopped but the damage is still there.

1st of all, I have a lot of other work to (rudder replace, etc.) do 1st. So, this is future work to -- replace/ recover the stained wood; remodel job may come about in a few months. I have a reason for bringing the remodel job up now. I already have the hard wood flooring that may be suitable for the interior of the I 37.

Take a Look at the 5 pic's. here and the continuation post with 5 more.

I will show the bow berth 1st and it has similair looking paneling there.

The following pic's will show the stained areas and the new paneling shown next to the stained area.

yer
Attached Thumbnails
Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-005.jpg   Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-006.jpg   Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-004.jpg   Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-008.jpg   Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-010.jpg  

Last edited by HighFly_27; 11-08-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers

2nd Series of 5 pic's.

My Question(s):

I have read (here) that this type of remodel (cover paneling) work has been done before.

What fastener system did you use ?

What are your words of advice... tips, don't do this, or what _________ ?

I have a lot of this hard wood/ flooring paneling. I have stopped my add-on (24 x 12) room project (90% on I 37) to close in a screened porch. I had bought a lot of different materials and this flooring is returnable/ can be exchanged for use in the boat.

Thanks,

Avery
Attached Thumbnails
Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-009.jpg   Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-012.jpg   Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-015.jpg   Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-016.jpg   Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers-i-37-int.-steering-%7E-8-nov-014.jpg  

Old 11-08-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Shiver My (cabin remodel) Timbers

For those cabin side areas with extensive water damage, here's what I'd do... Tear it all out and replace it with formica or laminate panels.. using white/cream colour will significantly brighten the interior and it will not subsequently suffer the same kind of damage if leaks re-occur. It will look just fine with the remaining wood on bulkheads etc.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)