Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-09-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Re: Stuffing box & grease fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn43 View Post
I hear you on the drinking and boating, but I am still holding out hope that someone will show up with some helpful information.
Sorry for being glib Kenn. I was thinking the PO had one to many one day and had an idea. I wouldn't worry about your stuffing box if you know the packing is OK. The grease is not a substitute for packing. But I don't see the grease hurting anything. If a stuffing box doesn't run hot then no problem.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2012

Kenn43 is on a distinguished road

Gene,

I enjoy humor. No problem. I have read about stuffing boxes running cool and hot, but no one ever quantifies what hot is. My stuffing box currently gets warm (or hot) enough to where if I touch it I can not keep my fingers on it for more than a second or two. I have purchased a remote laser type thermometer but have not yet had a chance to take an actual reading of the temperature of the stuffing box. Have you or anyone taken any temperature readings of the stuffing box?
Old 11-09-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

If it's smoking it's too hot' Now the tallow is gone and the stuffing can't be trusted and may scar the shaft, If you fill it with grease instead of proper repack watch for catastrophic failure when you're not looking, I like the non digital pre historic technology and keep an eye on things.
Old 11-09-2012

Capt Len,

Nothing wrong with prehistoric methods. They have been proven over time. The stuffing box I have is attached to a Yanmar 1GM10 diesel that was rebuilt and has less than 50 hours on it. From the appearance of the stuffing box I believe it has also been rebuilt. So far I have not experienced anything like a failure you described. That's good. I don't know for sure, but I don't believe the grease replaces the packing material. It's only a supplement to it, but I am guessing. I haven't yet attempted to disassemble the stuffing box.
Old 11-09-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn43 View Post
Gene,

I enjoy humor. No problem. I have read about stuffing boxes running cool and hot, but no one ever quantifies what hot is. My stuffing box currently gets warm (or hot) enough to where if I touch it I can not keep my fingers on it for more than a second or two. I have purchased a remote laser type thermometer but have not yet had a chance to take an actual reading of the temperature of the stuffing box. Have you or anyone taken any temperature readings of the stuffing box?
That is too hot. Figure in the neighbor hood of 60 Deg C. Cool enough to touch but not continue touching. Should be no warmer than lukewarm. I used to grease Teflon packing with Teflon grease. I could run it without dripping and it would not get warm. This tells us the grease in yours is not lubricating the packing. You need to loosen it till it drips or repack it. I would just repack it properly, easy job even with the boat in the water. Good time to do an alignment too (not such an easy job but that is another subject).

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 11-11-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Yes Kenn43, the grease doesn't replace the packing, it just lubricates it and helps "seal" the gland. I took these photos today to show you how it's set up on my boat. The first photo shows the grease gun with a threaded top that pushes the grease down into the stuffing box. Photo 2 shows the stuffing box. I have to say it runs very cool and doesn't drip very often, if at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Stuffing box & grease fittings-nov-2012-221.jpg   Stuffing box & grease fittings-nov-2012-223.jpg  
Old 11-12-2012

Copacabana,

Thank you. You're the man. From looking at your pictures, it looks like the setup you have functions the same as the grease fitting I have on the male part (stern) of my stuffing box. Yours is the first (and only) example I have seen of this arrangement (except for mine). Now I know I can, and should, keep this fitting greased. I am using a marine grade grease I purchased at an auto store. Hope this is adequate.

Gene T and Capt Len,

My stuffing box was getting hot to the point if I touched it I could not keep my finger on the box for more than a second or two (no smoke though). I put two shots of grease in the grease fitting discussed above and motored for about a half hour or so. The fitting barely got warm to the touch. The water drip is minimal if any. I used a remote laser temperature gauge to measure the temp of the fitting and at any point on the fitting the temp I recorded was about 40*C (105*F).

Hopefully nothing has been damaged at this point because of my inexperience. Now I need to find out how much grease to use and how often to grease the fitting. I want to thank everyone for helping me through this.
Old 11-12-2012

Ken, maybe you can rig up a grease gun like in the first photo I posted. I give it a turn about every 20 hours of motor use. It doesn't take much grease.
Old 11-12-2012

Copa cabana,

Sorry, but I have follow up questions. In the picture of your stuffing box I noticed what appears to be an accumulation of grease (it is tan or beige in color) next to the compression ring forward of the stuffing box. Is this grease? If so, is this grease exiting from the box because of the grease being put into the box through the grease fitting (where the hose is attached)? Again, if so, do you have to keep removing excess grease from this area? If not, what is this and where did it come from? I am asking these questions because I have a second grease fitting on the compression ring, which you do not, and I am wondering now how it interacts with my other fitting.
Old 11-12-2012

Yes, it's excess grease escaping! I overtightened the grease gun! I meant to clean it up before taking the photo. It is the grease being squeezed out around the shaft. Normally there is just a hint of grease there. I wipe it up with a rag once or twice a year.

Another thing... I use regular grease, not a waterproof grease. I was also careful not to use any grease that has anything added to it that could "polish" (erode) the shaft.