Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-25-2004

alanporter is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank

Hello Scubado. You appear to have got some confusing answers. On the lake, with no overboard discharge, you do not need an anti-syphon vent. The toilet outlet can be below the tank inlet, mine is 18 inches below, and has been for the past 28 years with no trouble at all. The toilet hand pump can push the effluent upwards of three feet above the toilet outlet, provided the piston seal does not leak.
Good luck
Alan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2004

williamjchampion is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank

With no overboard discharge, you will not need a vented loop in the waste line. Capttb''s response is right, except I agree with alanporter that you won''t need to locate the tank inlet below the toilet outlet (virtually impossible on most sailboats that I know).

If you are using lake water to flush (i.e., a thruhull), you still would be prudent to include a vented loop in the intake line. There are a lot of boats that fail to do this, but if the pump seals were to fail, you could siphon the lake into your boat. WHOOSH is right about the placement of the antisiphon vented loop, but that is frequently tricky with a head like the W-C you have. The toilet will still work with the vented loop between the thruhull and the toilet pump, but you will have to give it quite a few pumps to establish a prime and you''ll hear a nice squeal as the air escapes from the duckbill flap in the vented loop.
Old 03-27-2004

GordMay is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank

Vented Loops on Below Waterline Heads:
If the Head is installed below the waterline, or may be below the waterline at any angle of heel (virtually always on a sailboat) - properly positioned Vented Loops must be installed.
Vented Loops should be installed on BOTH the Raw-Water Intake Line, between the Intake Seacock and the Head - AND - also on the Head Discharge Line between the Head and the Holding Tank.
ADDITIONALY, a Vented Loop should be installed in the 3/4" Hose between the Toilet Pump and the back of the Bowl. The factory-installed 3/4" Hose must be removed, and a new (longer) Hose c/w Vent installed.
The top of all the Vented Loops must be (about 8") above the waterline at the greatest angle of heel.
See:
http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/compact_II/L219compactIIv0502.pdf
and
http://jabsco.com/prodinfo/overview/43000-0686_ds.pdf

Of course, sub-standard installations abound - and most of them work just fine - and havn''t sunk their owner''s boats. So maybe these Loopless schemes are "good enough".
Or you could do it right.

OMHO
Gord
Old 03-28-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank

Just looked at Jabsco site Gord posted, 9'' head rating for discharge pump (~4.5 PSI) I''ll be darned, never even occurred to me that tank could be higher I just imagined the tank always trying to empty itself into the lower toliet. Heads are such a pain.
Old 04-01-2004

Scubado is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank

Well Gentlemen,
I think we beat this one up pretty good. With all the various theories, specifications, links and experience donated to this question, I think I can get the job done. I thank you all.
Chet