Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Breasting my fin keel? Help please.

I don't think there is an environmental concern. I am a diver and can clean the bottom that way. Compared to swimming to scrub the hull I will take standing in the clear air any day. The difference in time and effort will be huge if all I need to do is tie the boat up and wait for the tide to go out. $280.00 is a good day's pay for this retired old salt. No one will pay any attention unless it is a curious tourist.

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

BTW- this technique is called "careening."
Old 11-10-2012
Tundra Down

Let's hope not! Thanks!
Old 11-10-2012

tomhuntdmd is on a distinguished road

You might see if any ports arount there have a tide grid. Our Port of Poulsbo in Puget Sound has one that they charge $25 per day to use. They do not allow bottom cleaning any more due to environmental concerns. I helped a friend change a prop on his Slocum 43, but that is not a fin keel. Don't think I would ever try to put my Catalina 47 on it.

With a tide grid, you have massive timbers on the bottom, and a secure place to tie to on the side as the tide goes out. You want the boat heeled over slightly against the piling as the water recedes. Also there is a built in ladder to get up to the dock.
Old 11-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

down, you're not crazy, some folks just have no concept of tradition and think there's always enough money to throw it to outside vendors.

Make sure you've got a bottom you can stand the keel on, preferably without the hemlock block. If you need to put a "ring" on the bottom and fill it with a couple of bags of QuikCrete to give you a level spot, so be it. With a bit of a notch to center the keel.

Traditionally, you'd use two "legs", each from a 2x4 or pipe with some type of foot on the bottom to spread the load, set one forward and one aft on the outboard side to help keep the boat from rocking fore and aft as well as holding it upright against the pier. Lsah on to the pier tightly and do make sure that whatever you're tied to, isn't going to pull out and give folks a show.

Aim bow in, so the rudder is in deeper water, because if the rudder kisses a rock bottom, that can be an expensive kiss.
Old 11-10-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Careening is laying her over on her side as the tide drops or winched over by the mast if no beach. Newfies replace the schooners keel like this at a deepwater dock. If you have a nice steep protected bank you can lay her on.!! On the coast here, I often laid down deadmen i( 4 ft of 6x6 beach log) with a wire strop to take the buoyancy of the grid timbers floated in on the next tide. At least 18 inch x 20 ft ( I'm 22 tonnes and 15 beam) All this along side a federal dock to take the deck and mast lines secure. By the time I was on the grid, the bay would be full of boats waiting their turn. Most larger communities had these already but I preferred the outback. and we all had full keel cruising or converted fish boat hulls (w00d) I've seen a few finkeels standing on their noses waiting for a rising tide. Lots can go wrong but not to worry. Fiberglass is so much stronger and will likely withstand falling over. It's the filling tide that is really annoying.
Old 11-10-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

The
Brits do this a lot with fin keel boats. Their Practical Boat Owner had an article on various ways of drying out. If I can find my copy I'll send info. When I did it on a gird here some notes:
Need to kn ow where the bottom of the keel is and what it's going to land on. Maybe not a problem with your situation but with a grid you could end missing the right fore and aft placement.
Use a hallyard made down to the dockside so that you're sure that as the tide goes down the boat will lean into the pilings. big problem if it leans the other way.
Need a way to hold the bow and stern up, like lined or a 2x4 underneath otherwise you won't be able to walk fore and aft of the fin.
it's nice to have a ladder to get up on the boat easily.
The tide will return. If you pull a thru hull have a way to secure the hole if Murphy's Law prevails on the project. Happened to me.
Cal-29
Old 11-10-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

/\OK found the PBO article Oct 2009, “drying out on piles”. Here's a summary from people who do this a lot:
Step 1 Preparations
Survey the bottom. Concrete or gravel? Gravel/sand is better as it allows the keel to take up and minimize rocking movement. Try to avoid a sloped bottom as it can be tricky. Check out another boat doing it.
Check the tide tables, want to know how much time you will have and whether the next high tide will float you off. Here in the PNW tides are uneven.
Arrive early to allow time to set up
Know your tie-up strategy so the lines and fenders are ready to go
Step 2 Coming alongside
Try to be alongside two pilings. If not you’ll need extra lines to keep the boat from pivoting in a breeze.
It can help to have one of the pilings in line with the mast, as it gives you a strong point for a breast line that’s over the keel. Will need to watch the spreaders so the piling doesn't foul the rigging.
String fenders fore and aft against the piling or have two fenders with a board across as a fender board
Make sure you lines will slide up the pilings as the tide rises.
Have spring lines so the boat can’t slip forwards and backwards. The longer the better to help with the slope of the bottom
Step 3 Taking ground
As the water recedes keep an eye on the trim. Add extra springs if the boat is setting oddly. For example if she’s settling by the bow pressure on the bow spring will help control it.
Fenders may try to ride up as the tide drops be prepared to kick them down
Shifting weight fore and aft can help with unexpected movement.
Be prepared to adjust lines as you go down. They may snag in the piling. Once you touch bottom pull the breast lines in tight to compress the fenders and steady the boat.
Step 4 while dried out
Start with the keel and work up buys you extra time
Tide chart will tell you the time you have
Step 5 floating free
Keep an eye on the lines to make sure they’re not snagged and holding the boat down
As you float free you may need to burp the stern gland
Remember to undo the halyard before getting underway
Cal-29
Old 11-11-2012
Tundra Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
down, you're not crazy,
Hello, That is a relief. I have been accused of that more than once over the years and this is one of the "ideas" I had not even considered on the fringe. Ha!

This forum and these replies are priceless. Having access to this collection of kindred spirits is amazing!

Deciding on how to prepare the bottom to set the keel down on is coming together. I like the idea of a firm base without the hemlock block. My location is along the eastern shore of a N/S harbor. The harbor has a muddy/sandy bottom but along this shore beautiful red granite is the material the town dock is built on, made of and composes the rubble that I will be sitting on. I can prepare the exact location by simply doing a bit of "yard work" on the area. It will give me a crushed granite base on bedrock (already in place) and I can top it with some of the finer material. Leveling it won't be a problem. A coarse granite sand bed will provide good "grip" and should clean any life away. Pouring "Quickcreet" might garner a bit of attention here without a folder full of permits. Leveling a spot in the "gravel" to set my boat on will be respected.

Bow in for sure. Outboard legs, too.

Thanks,

Down
Old 11-11-2012
Tundra Down

Walt,

Thank you for tracking the article down. You have been very helpful. Several things I hadn't considered that could make all the difference. Planning for a strong point for a breast line that’s over the keel is something I will go take a look at after I send this. I am fortunate to live close to the dock and it won't be a problem to build a pre rigged "stand off" to act as a purchase and fender board that I can throw into the pickup and hang off the dock when I head down for a day of bottom work.

I have the exact measurements/locations, a granite/oak pier lined with oak pilings, firm bottom, 10' of tide, excellent protection, plenty of lines and I can even add boat stands as the tide goes out if I want to. A bow support would be easy. First in last out as the work progresses.

Perhaps I will ask the town to install a gin pole. To help the fishermen unload lobster traps and gear? Ha!

Down