Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Breasting my fin keel? Help please.

Capt

"It's the filling tide that is really annoying." Yup! There must be limits to the hull shape that can stand careening. I am guessing the I-28 is well outside them. I wonder what they are? I have wondered if, in an emergency, I could careen on top of my Avon and with its added buoyancy, keep ahead of the incoming water as I lifted on the tide. Bob Perry might have an opinion. It is his creation.

I can repair the fiberglass.

Down
K0RINA likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Careening on top of an Avon just might go "POP!" and blow it out.

Bob Perry is only to blame for the good things on the I28, apparently Islander messed around with his plans, changing a keel-stepped mast to the deck-stepped one with the crazy support pieces and fiddling around with the head and starboard settee as part of the process. And someone upstairs must have nudged Bob's hand, because boats designed by mortals alone just don't balance that well.

A couple of used tires might come in handy as extra fenders. They may leave black scuffs but that beats all hell out of gouges. Some extra lines, heavy lines, and a spare hand too. And the videographer of course, you know this needs to be utubed!
Old 11-11-2012
Tundra Down

It might pop the old Avon. I have seen some amazing air bladder lifts that worked because the pressure was so well distributed. It would be carrying a very small load since the lead would be down. The constant hull flair wouldn't help. It sure helps with performance and looks! I have no pans to try it. Ha!

I am co-opting the deck stepped mast A/La Ed and Ellen Zacko's solution. The head is very small but it is a small boat. I did install a Levac. I put the pump behind the bulkhead to the right of the sink counter. A tight fit with an anti siphon loop. That saved a little room. It also offers a second manual bilge pump if I can find the time to install a Y valve on the suction side.

Fenders I have plenty of. All sizes. Many in sacrificial condition. Aged to perfection!

Down
Old 11-11-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

down, someone used to sell those air bladder lifts for CARS to be used as jacks, complete with a little compressor. I don't know if they're still being sold and I'm sure they weren't "commercial" grade, but that's something to consider. I've also heard of folks using a basketball (thrift shop!) to lift an engine a few inches, so maybe there's something too.
Old 11-11-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Tide grids are pretty common in the Pacific Northwest - used to be more common though. Here are pics of some examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Breasting my fin keel? Help please.-591129949_xnmwv-m.jpg   Breasting my fin keel? Help please.-img_0338.jpg   Breasting my fin keel? Help please.-kake-low-tide-grid-boat.jpg   Breasting my fin keel? Help please.-p1020084-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 11-12-2012
Tundra Down

Mitiempo,

Thanks for these. The PNW is a lot like downeast when it comes to the tide ranges. Grids are familiar here, too. Our Perry, ME farm enjoys an 18' , twice daily, average range on Passamaquoddy Bay. Many long established yards have them. TravelLifts took a bite out of the practice. Your 4th photo looks a lot like my location without the grid. I think the procedure is very doable for me here. The concern I have about balancing on a 2' fin that is rounded on its bottom edge looks manageable. Rather than a grid or even a block I think my initial effort will simply use a carefully prepared location in the firm gravel.

Thank you for going to the effort to share these.

Down
Old 11-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The first time you do this is always the most interesting... until you try it (or unless you know someone with a sistership that knows) you won't know whether or not the boat will tend bow down or stern down.

You can support the 'heavy' end with straps or lines off of sturdy cleats, the 'weight' is often just a relatively low 'out of balance' amount, not usually anything too significant.

I've seen people with similar boats (Ericson 27 and Catalina 27) raft up together and then dry out on a flat beach.. both boats ended up nose down, but upright as they were tied together.. not sure I'd try it but they got away with it that time...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-12-2012
Tundra Down

Faster,

The engine, 3 large batteries, 20 gallons of fuel and 20 gallons of water are all aft of center. So is all the stuff stored under the 1/4 birth and in the cockpit locker. The 3K lead is swept aft so it extends forward of center a good bit. The mast of course, too. I have played with balance on the hard to get an idea of any tendency and it might be a little bow heavy but you are right, not much. I think moving weight around aboard will be enough to tweak the balance. A bow boat stand would be a simple thing to add. I don't anticipate much if any activity aboard when it is dried out. The captain will be on the ground. The two rafted boats bow down would be an interesting picture.

Thanks,

Down
Old 11-12-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

People do this all the time. You should be fine. I'd rather do this than have some yard haul my boat. I hate the feeling of seeing my boat suspended by old straps with a 19y/o kid driving the travel lift.

All that water in your tanks is to the good. If you find you need to "move" some weight around just turn on the tap and empty a tank or two.

Faster, the idea of tying 2 boats together to careen is novel. Scary, but ballzy.... Not sure I'd try it either. I have visions of them slipping apart and tangling their masts together.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2012
Tundra Down

Med,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am now comfortable with the process. This forum has given me the feedback I needed. I just had a Brownell truck miss my keel, start to haul, I slipped between the supports, scraped faring off the keel! Yikes! I should be able to expect the guy who I am paying to haul my boat to be capable of doing it without damaging anything. I will supervise the process myself next time. If there is a next time for that guy. It is disturbing how careless many service providers are. I used to run a 60 ton TravelLift in Eastport, ME. I even have an operators certificate from TravelLIft. It isn't rocket science! I prefer to take care of things myself, too. No one does it better.... Ha!

Down