Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Breasting my fin keel? Help please.

I would like to take advantage of mother nature's dry dock and set my Islander 28's fin keel down, tie off to support the bow, let the tide go out and have the hull out of the water. It doesn't seem like it should be a big deal. We have 10ft. of tide. There is a very robust, well protected (not sunny) location on the town pier with draft enough to more than take care of the boat's 5' needs. I can place a permanent keel block on/in the bottom myself and locate it for the boat. I can also tie a rigid standoff to the dock to tie the boat against for stability and spacing. Am I missing something? Is it possible to keep the boat level on its fin keel while dried out? I have no experience. I can certainly add a boat stand under the bow as the tide drops. I don't mind getting wet and the bottom is very hard. If this makes sense I will get busy placing a keel block. I have options there. It could be a flat block of granite or an anchored (not sure how yet perhaps bolted to the granite) 6" x 12" x 3' piece of hemlock. Suggestions on how this is done will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 11-10-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Breasting my fin keel? Help please.

Why are you doing this?

(This didn't happen unless you take photos).
Old 11-10-2012
Tundra Down

James,

At first that question puzzled me. Just for a couple of seconds until I realized that my situation is probably not "mainstream"? The reason is to have access to the hull below the waterline without putting on my scuba gear. All the reasons from inspecting, removing pot warps from the shaft, cleaning, zincs, painting, ... It also would make keeping the boat in the water for 12 months without paying Hinckley or Morris $10.00/foot to lift it,not to mention the mast, or haul it to a storage location for annual stuff.

I have the gear. I have the time. It would be much simpler than having a yard involved. I also have an excellent location. Town dock, breasting location for lobster boats, no parking conflicts, very hard bottom, 5 minute drive from my house with a single stop sign. Not crowded, protected, I can row out to the boat and have it at the dock in 15 minutes. I am retired! A big plus! Skipping a year's haul / storage expense, not to mention having the boat all year long. ( It rains every month here.) All of those seem like good reasons to me.

There must be lots of folks in the PNW that do this?

Down
Old 11-10-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road

People dry out their boats all the time in parts of Europe. Search the web for that term and you should get some info. I have seen pictures of boats leaning against a wall or with lines out to stabilize. I have also seen boats modern boats sitting on their bulb keels with no support at all.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 11-10-2012
Tundra Down

Gene,

That is my take. I am just searching for the down side particularly with a fin. I have done it with a full keel boat. No problem. No forward moment.

Down
Old 11-10-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

I have no experience with tides being on the great lakes but we do get water level variations of several feet due to wind. You said the bottom under you is hard. The one caution I'd give is that in our case, as the keel is starting to touch the bottom small waves can lift and drop the boat and it can hit pretty hard. Once it's firmly seated it's fine, but as water is going out and coming back it can pound.
Old 11-10-2012
Tundra Down

That is a good point. I expect I will choose the conditions carefully and work when there is little activity in SH. The location is behind our dinghy docks which kills wakes. Perhaps that is the consideration which determines what I use for the keel block. A large hemlock timber 6"x12"x3' anchored to a granite base perhaps.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 11-10-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: content
Old 11-10-2012
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

There was an article in Good Old Boat recently about this, no problem doing it with a fin keel boat, just make sure to keep it balanced fore/aft by moving weight around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

if you don't mind getting wet then why not dive on the boat to inspect. scraping painting a bottom on the beach does not seem to be very environmentally responsible to me. are you the only one that lives in this town and uses our oceans? For me the risk due to the learning curve would not be worth the $ 280 haul fee. how much work can you do in the couple of hours you will have after you get the boat secure. the tide does come back in. seems like it would be non stop work for 12 hours with no time for a break. so a real show for the whole town
Old 11-10-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Breasting my fin keel? Help please.

Hurricane Sandy showed how this is done. There is a fin keel Hunter 27 standing perfectly upright on the keel and rudder. Sandy left it there gently touching a power boat lying on it's side, where the flood waters left them!

Gary H. Lucas

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.