Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-24-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road
OMC saildrive

I am buying a boat that has an OMC saildrive 15hp. gas engine. I understand the pros and cons of this type of engine. Does anyone else have this type and if yes, anything I should pay close attention to???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
OMC saildrive

The one thing that you need to be aware of is that many key parts for this engine are no longer available.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2004

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
OMC saildrive

There is a web site for saildrive owners that is mostly concerned with the OMC saildrive. There are even some saildrives for sale there. Address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/saildriveowners/

Check it out. When the engine is working well it is a good engine. Parts are indeed a problem but there is a large group of owners who have found some sources for many of the parts. At worst you can glass over the hole and put an outboard on any boat small enough to use this engine ...

Good luck

Mike

Old 03-24-2004

jbanta is on a distinguished road
OMC saildrive

Glassed over the hole and put an outboard on the back I have never felt better about anything more than getting rig of that OMC saildrive.
Old 03-25-2004

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
OMC saildrive

Saildrives are a pain. To change the lower end oil each year the boat needs to be hauled. The newer ones are using a tube that runs down into the geardrive to suck out the oil. You need to keep the zinks in good shape, it''s like leaving on outboard in the water all the time. And, seaweed loves to hang up on the things.
.............................._/)
Old 03-31-2004

Bermuda is on a distinguished road
OMC saildrive

You mention it is "like leaving an outboard on all the time", funny you should say that because that is exactly what an OMC Saildrive was, a 35 HP outboard that they converted to allow inboard use. And yes they eliminated half the horses too.
Old 04-01-2004

OMC saildrive

Yeah...even the surveyor of the boat told me to glass over the hole and put a 9.9hp on the back. I can''t afford that luxury this year however. I''m going to baby the engine (as much as possible this season, keep it running and figure out what to do next year)

Question...If I decided to put an outboard bracket and outboard motor on, can I still use the internal 18gal. gas tank?? or will I need to pull that out as well???

Old 04-01-2004

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
OMC saildrive

Mike

I guess it dependson where you live and what you do with your boat. In northern climes the boats are pulled each year anyway so changing the oil in the gear case is no big deal.

I would say that a 22 is very small for an inboard of any sort. If however you find yourself in choppy waves the saildrive is much more useful than an outboard hanging off the back. Not to mention the aestheics of a stern free of outboard brackets, etc...

If you do decide to replace the saildrive then take it out carefully because there are many boat owners that still use these engines and are looking for spare parts or engines. You could sell off the engine whole or in pieces. Use the link I posted above for this purpose and you will have an audience of willing buyers. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/saildriveowners/)

To each his own I guess.

If you do decide to keep it be sure that you have a good anode on the lower unit. Once you have holes it is too late ...

Happy Purchasing

Mike

Old 04-01-2004

OMC saildrive

the saildrive is on an O''Day 28 I just bought. I''d rather keep the inboard than put an outboard on it for those same reasons: lookswise, and motor cavitation ( I plan on sailing the boat in LI Sound, Block Island, Nantucket, etc. I want to make the engine work this season and next year(or at least in a few years repower with a diesel saildrive)