Advice on Best Antifoul Paint that Holds Up -- In & Out of Salt Water - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Advice on Best Antifoul Paint that Holds Up -- In & Out of Salt Water

Caution: Unless Practical Sailor does these 'paint test' in similar bio-fouled waters ....

Always, better to walk the immediate local yards and ASK, and then LOOK/Verify to remove the uninformed personal 'bias'.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Ultima SR60

I used to use the Micron Extra with fairly good results but have found the Ultima a better product.. As an ablative it sloughs off at a lower speed than the micron. More condusive to the speed you usually travel in a sailboat, therefore it sloughs opff the slime/ living matter.

Again it depends on where you live.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-15-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Caution: Unless Practical Sailor does these 'paint test' in similar bio-fouled waters ....

Always, better to walk the immediate local yards and ASK, and then LOOK/Verify to remove the uninformed personal 'bias'.
Don't bother asking a boatyard. They aren't in the business of cleaning boat bottoms and have little idea how well a particular anti fouling paint performs or not (despite their claims to the contrary), since they typically only see the paint when the boat comes out of the water every two or three years. But they are in the business of selling anti fouling paint and will likely tell you to use whatever product they happen to be trying to move at the moment, whether it is really suitable for your needs or not. I see this all the time, and from respected yards.

If you want a reliable recommendation for paint in the region in which your boat lives, call an established hull cleaner in the area. Hull cleaners see anti fouling paints in the water, doing what anti fouling paints do, day in and day out, for the life of the paint. Nobody has a better perspective on the subject.
RichH likes this.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 11-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-15-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27

FASTBOTTMS & RICHH & ALL

I have a good idea about what/ or how to make the best choice for selecting a good antifouling paint. I will start checking the local marina's in my area area by talking with hull cleaning company's.

I learned this judgement tool from a self made millionaire that I worked for in the 80's. He would gather data from 3 or 4 pro's. in the field that he was researching. If the 3 or 4 pro's. said the same thing, he'd go with that endorsement. This method sounds simple enough and worked for him & I never saw him make a bad business venture.
Old 11-15-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Don't bother asking a boatyard. They aren't in the business of cleaning boat bottoms and have little idea how well a particular anti fouling paint performs or not (despite their claims to the contrary), since they typically only see the paint when the boat comes out of the water every two or three years. But they are in the business of selling anti fouling paint and will likely tell you to use whatever product they happen to be trying to move at the moment, whether it is really suitable for your needs or not. I see this all the time, and from respected yards.

If you want a reliable recommendation for paint in the region in which your boat lives, call an established hull cleaner in the area. Hull cleaners see anti fouling paints in the water, doing what anti fouling paints do, day in and day out, for the life of the paint. Nobody has a better perspective on the subject.
a lot of truth to those statements !!!!!
Old 11-15-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

O.K., Fastbottoms, I need some advice. I own Freya in Marina Village (San Francisco Bay Area) and as you know I’m past due for paint (I’m trying to get in over the Thanksgiving Holiday), Freya has a faired and sprayed bottom – what paint do you recommend? My last paint was Interlux. Also, do you favor any Alameda Boatyard in Particular? I have been going to Sven’s but haven’t been back since Sabag got married and moved back east.
Old 11-15-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

George,

I recommend you go to Svendsen's and have them put two coats of Petit Trinidad on the hull, three coats at the waterline and leading/trailing edges of the appendages. Have it cleaned every two months and you'll get 3+ years of good performance from it.
Old 11-15-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
Practical Sailor has done comprehensive tests of anti fouling paint measuring performance over difference periods of time. If you are not a subscriber you would need to pay for a back issue.
One thing I found particularly interesting about one of practical sailors recent write-ups was how paints have changed over the years due to laws, regulations and costs. Even the exact same brand and type of paint can change over the years. So that adds one more layer of complexity.
Old 11-17-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Never had my BOAT'S bottom cleaned commercially in the water. What does it cost? Faster, resist the urge. Ha!

Down
Old 11-17-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
George,

I recommend you go to Svendsen's and have them put two coats of Petit Trinidad on the hull, three coats at the waterline and leading/trailing edges of the appendages. Have it cleaned every two months and you'll get 3+ years of good performance from it.
Surely that should be Pettit Trinidad SR...