Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-16-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Storage Under the Companionway.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
Fantastic idea. I've been eyeing the same thing although my space is drastically smaller. I'd be building a better box for the battery under the lower step and a small drawer under the top step. If I did this that would be the only drawer in the boat..

Any concern with corrosion on those drawer slides? Is that stainless hardware? There is going to be water coming in that area from feet, rain etc.
I'd like to do something somewhat similar for the ....

...companionway for our 26' Mac behind where the table is located in the picture above.

On the corrosion deal I guess we will have to see how that works. While we were on the boat in Florida we had quite a bit of rain last spring/summer with Debby and other storms and the drawers stayed dry. I set them back and have lips on them that seal pretty good under the steps and we will have our dodge up most of the time.

One other thing is that we won't be using this boat to cross oceans and it will be in the water probably 4 months max out of the year and in the yard on stands the rest of the time. The glides are cheap and could be replace in probably 30 minutes for all of them.

As time goes on I'll try and update our site as to any problems that might of arose and possible fixes. If we were full-time cruisers I probably would of made wood glides like I've done for some projects at home and would put in stops like was suggested on the other post,

Sum

=================================

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Sum,

Great job increasing your storage!

I'd also recommend you think about removing the handles and adding additional locks for the drawers. While they will certainly do fine in reasonable conditions, they may not do so well when things get lumpy. You'd be surprised how violent things get when beating into even moderate head seas.

Always plan for the worst case scenario, and you'll rarely get caught short.
Old 11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Sum,

Great job increasing your storage!

I'd also recommend you think about removing the handles and adding additional locks for the drawers. While they will certainly do fine in reasonable conditions, they may not do so well when things get lumpy. You'd be surprised how violent things get when beating into even moderate head seas.

Always plan for the worst case scenario, and you'll rarely get caught short.
Thanks for the input. Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but ....

...the drawers are locked in with the wooden dowels with the knobs on the ends above. They go through the...

...side of the structure and the side of the door. I'll look to see if I need to do more in that area. Maybe a bungee that would go top to bottom that would for sure secure the pins and could be put in place if needed,

Sum

============================================

Old 11-20-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I know I would get in trouble with those lubberly drawer handles and the dangerous unrounded corners on the drawers, probably when I made the mistake of trying to walk down the companionway without looking.

But is IS a beautiful job. In the next episode, you install a video camera behind the draws to monitor the electrical panel, and a display for that at the nav station. Right?

(WEG)
Old 11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I know I would get in trouble with those lubberly drawer handles and the dangerous unrounded corners on the drawers, probably when I made the mistake of trying to walk down the companionway without looking.

But is IS a beautiful job. In the next episode, you install a video camera behind the draws to monitor the electrical panel, and a display for that at the nav station. Right?

(WEG)
Thanks, the only thing still working on the panel are the switches. All of those circuits, plus new ones, are going to be moved to a new panel at the Nav. Station when we go back to the boat. We did live on the boat for a month though and I could still see and work the switches at the seat at the Nav. Station from that side. Pictures at the link below.

On the steps they also seemed to work fine while we were on the boat. The drawers are back further than they appear in the photos and you really don't get you feet on the back of the threads the way the steps are.

There is also just the two of us on the boat so not a lot of different people going and coming,

Sum

===============================================