Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012

mbetter is on a distinguished road
Re: Retrofitting Tiller to Wheel Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookwithgas View Post
A new quadrant runs from $500 to $900. This seems silly since the entire assembly was $100 including the wheel!
This seems like a very dangerous mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

I think the project is fine as long as you retain the wheel and don't try modifying it into a quadrant. It will be difficult to get a fair lead into the wheel due to the angle of the rudder post.
Old 11-29-2012

cookwithgas is on a distinguished road

Progress on the pedestal for my tiller to wheel conversion. Notched out and filled pedestal base; sanded cleaned and taped to get ready for paint:
Attached Thumbnails
Retrofitting Tiller to Wheel Steering-pedistal4.jpg   Retrofitting Tiller to Wheel Steering-pedistal1.jpg   Retrofitting Tiller to Wheel Steering-pedistal2.jpg   Retrofitting Tiller to Wheel Steering-pedistal3.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

UM....you won't have room to stand behind the wheel? I painted mine a couple of years ago. it's all black with mildew again LOL
Faster likes this.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
UM....you won't have room to stand behind the wheel? I painted mine a couple of years ago. it's all black with mildew again LOL
Denise you are right but I can build a really cool seat that sits up high and I can steer with my feet and be able to see the sails over the bimini - maybe. I'm still working on all that in my head. Also, I plan to paint it black to start with!
Old 11-29-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Will the wheel you've got clear the lazarette/seat? Or are you going to end up with a tiny wheel?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-05-2012

The pedestal and wheel are mounted. I installed some new cable on the chain and now I'm ready to mount the idler pulleys to direct the cable onto the drive wheel.

At this point I am considering removing the lazarette/seat and extending the floor behind the wheel. There is very little storage there anyway because of the way the back of the boat sweeps up and there is good access to that area from the other two seats. A few pics attached of what I have so far...
Attached Thumbnails
Retrofitting Tiller to Wheel Steering-pedestal-installed.jpg   Retrofitting Tiller to Wheel Steering-pedestal-installed3.jpg   Retrofitting Tiller to Wheel Steering-pedestal-below.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Seems like your next step is to figure out where to put the throttle/shift levers.. they're not in reach from the wheel in any practical way esp for docking manoeuvers..

If you remove the seat section behind the wheel will you have a level platform to stand on? Standing any length of time at the angle of the counter would be tiresome, I'd think....

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Seems like your next step is to figure out where to put the throttle/shift levers.. they're not in reach from the wheel in any practical way esp for docking manoeuvers..

If you remove the seat section behind the wheel will you have a level platform to stand on? Standing any length of time at the angle of the counter would be tiresome, I'd think....
Yes it will be completely flat all the way back. I plan to elevate it slightly from the existing floor so I don't have to mess with the Syn-Teak work I have already completed. I agree about the throttle and shift lever - one thing at a time. I am looking at ways to relocate the sheet traveler over the cabin top so I can sit on the poop deck. It's going to be a busy winter....
Old 12-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookwithgas View Post
....I am looking at ways to relocate the sheet traveler over the cabin top so I can sit on the poop deck. It's going to be a busy winter....
With that narrow cockpit and the wheel where it is you're already stepping up onto the seat and around the wheel... so I'd put the traveller immediately in front of the pedestal, keeping it handy to the helm, build a bridging beam to install it on. You have no seat lockers in the way there and presumably have access for backing plates underneath in that location. Turn the traveller control lines aft so you can reach/adjust them too...
jimrafford likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.