SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Irwin 10/4 centerboard info (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94133-irwin-10-4-centerboard-info.html)

svGabriel 11-15-2012 07:36 PM

Irwin 10/4 centerboard info

I purchased my first boat this summer, an Irwin 10/4. The boat is missing a centerboard. It has a shoal keel with 2000 lbs of ballast so it sails ok, but doesnt go to winward that well and the wheel has to be attended to at all times as she tends to wander. I have the boat out of the water and was thinking about building a centerboard but I cant find any information about this boat. Anybody know anything about the centerboard for these boats? How heavy should it be? How is the cable routed? I can see where it used to exit in the companion way but other than the hole there is nothing related to the centerboard remaining. Someone in the boat yard also suggested building a small keel that could be bolted to the centerboard trunk for a more permanant solution. Has anybody done anything like this? I cant post links yet but i have pictures of the boat.
Thanks!

Paul

Geoff54 11-15-2012 08:47 PM

Re: Irwin 10/4 centerboard info

Unless you luck into someone here who knows, try googling "irwin owners", there are several groups and forums and you are more likely to get a knowledgeable response.

Here is the brochure for the 10/4 which describes the centerboards as "hand laid-up fiberglass and lead ballast", so it is ballasted.
Irwin 10/4 Sailboat: The Sailing Sloop Orion

Good luck.

olson34 11-15-2012 09:56 PM

I recall reading a rumor that the tooling for that boat was purchased by Island Packet and it became their IP 27.
If true (only a 50/50 chance at best), they might still have the mold to make a CB for it.

jameswilson29 11-16-2012 08:02 AM

Occasionally eBay has listings for keels, centerboards, rudders, etc., usually in the sailing hardware subsection of eBay Motors...

The 10/4 is a very beamy boat, so it will be important to replace the centerboard in order to sail better to windward. Once the boat starts to heel, the shallow keel will lift out of the water and there is very little stopping the boat from sideslipping.

SloopJonB 11-16-2012 01:25 PM

I believe the 10-4 drew on east coast catboats for its basic hull design philosophy. That would make the centerboard pretty essential.

Ted Irwin is still living in Florida AFAIK - maybe try contacting him.

jwetteroth 09-15-2013 06:05 AM

Hi,

I have just bought a 10-4 which also seems to be missing some or all of its centerboard. The slot is full of foam, but the cable is still there and under tension, so part of the board might remain.

I am posting to ask how far you have gotten with your centerboard, and what you may have found so far?

Thank you. Jim,

rikhall 09-15-2013 04:13 PM

There is a good Irvin face book group - join it and ask. One of the members of the group is an x-Irwin employee. Lots of 10/4 help available.

Rik