SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Front Pulpit (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94136-front-pulpit.html)

weephee 11-15-2012 08:59 PM

Front Pulpit

Just wondering if anyone would have a spare front pulpit for a 1977 columbia 8.3. Mine was damaged this fall and I will need to repair or replace it. Thanks

SloopJonB 11-16-2012 01:34 PM

Re: Front Pulpit

Quote:

Originally Posted by weephee (Post 949081)
Just wondering if anyone would have a spare front pulpit for a 1977 columbia 8.3. Mine was damaged this fall and I will need to repair or replace it. Thanks

I'd suggest tracking down a good machine shop that does S/S work. A pulpit is so bulky it would be hellishly expensive to ship.

You might also spend some time on the phone/Internet looking in the Toronto area for consignment shops that might have one. There may have been some left over when Hughes went belly up. You don't HAVE to have one from an 8.3 either - just a similar size - height.

As always, Craigslist is a good place to look/ask.

glassdad 11-16-2012 07:05 PM

Try Minneys Yacht Surplus.com. They have a ton of boat stuff. I have no idea how much it would cost to ship to Ottawa. It may be cheaper to have it repaired.

Ritchard 11-17-2012 11:26 AM

A little closer to you than Minney's is Ontario Marine Salvage, North of Uxbridge, ON. I was there the other day, he has some sailboat stuff, but it's mostly powerboats. You could possibly grab a pulpit that's close enough.

As above though, probably much easier to repair it.

CorvetteGuy 11-17-2012 12:07 PM

Stainless steel welders are all over the place they can refurbish the damaged one quite easily and probably cheaper too.

weephee 11-17-2012 05:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. I tried Minneys in California but they will not ship nor will they look. It's up to you to go to their yard and find what you are looking for. I will try the Ontario salvage yard but it is looking like I will have to have it repaired. Just hope they can do as good a job as the original builders did. Thanks again

SloopJonB 11-17-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weephee (Post 949812)
Thanks for the replies. I tried Minneys in California but they will not ship nor will they look. It's up to you to go to their yard and find what you are looking for. I will try the Ontario salvage yard but it is looking like I will have to have it repaired. Just hope they can do as good a job as the original builders did. Thanks again

Check out some of the work of any shop you think of using. I had a stern pulpit with a kink in the top rail right where it curved to the transom and a bend in one leg. The shop I used did an absolutely invisible splice on the tubing they welded in.