SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Transom mounted boarding ladder? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94177-transom-mounted-boarding-ladder.html)

downeast450 11-17-2012 07:59 AM

Transom mounted boarding ladder?

I am looking for a good, fold up, ss transom mounted ladder. I have been OK using a classic rope ladder for "emergency" re boarding with success but it is time to make that a permanently mounted, rigid, fold up device. I see many that would work for me in pics but can't find one in the after market that makes sense. If you know of a good source of one please share. I could have one built but there must be one out there someplace I could use. Used would be fine.

Thanks,

Down

tschmidty 11-17-2012 08:13 AM

Re: Transom mounted boarding ladder?

It would be helpful if we knew what 'makes sense' for you. Gaerlick makes a good one. Here's one that you would probably need to add bottom standoffs for but may work.

Folding Platform Ladder 4 Step

SkywalkerII 11-17-2012 08:18 AM

Just a thought.

The transom is not the best place to board in swells. I removed my stern mounted ladder on my C&C 34 for a removable ladder I used midship.

The other reason I removed it is it keeps the cockpit drier.

MysticGringo 11-17-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkywalkerII (Post 949599)
Just a thought.

The transom is not the best place to board in swells. I removed my stern mounted ladder on my C&C 34 for a removable ladder I used midship.

The other reason I removed it is it keeps the cockpit drier.

How does it keep it dryer, other than keeping wet people completely out? I wouldn't think the amount of water a person drips into the cockpit to be that big of a deal.

tschmidty 11-17-2012 09:32 AM

I also think not having a permanently mounted ladder would be a pretty huge safety issue. The unexpected get off could turn ugly pretty quick.

rhr1956 11-17-2012 09:49 AM

I too installed the brackets for my removable ladder mid-ship. It allows the person boarding to grab a shroud to help in the final climb aboard. Also keeps the dripping swim suits out of the cockpit area. I hate soggy potato chips.

downeast450 11-17-2012 10:00 AM

I agree. It is a huge safety issue. More so as my scrambling capacity slowly declines. Swim suits are not a consideration for me. Stand offs would be necessary.

Thanks,

Down

Familycruisers 11-17-2012 10:19 AM

Hmm,my Westerly comes stock with a transom mounted swim ladder. Hard rail and the rear stay give hand holds. I know where you could get an entire Westerly Centaur for $250, I could set up shipping for ya. Then you can just unbolt it.

Faster 11-17-2012 10:31 AM

In emergency situations I'd think that a permanently mounted stern ladder would ultimately be more reliable/usable/quickly deployable than any use-then-store ladder arrangement... we've had both over the years.

The main problem with most off-the-shelf ladders is that the angles won't match the transom exactly, or the steps/rungs won't go deep enough. There are some nifty collapsing ladders that fold down and extend deep but they work best on the short vertical sterns of the more recent open transom designs (such as that stock on the Bene 36.7)

I can't over emphasize the convenience and safety of a DEEP ladder. If the ladder doesn't have at least 3 rungs underwater it can be very difficult for out-of-shape individuals to clamber out of the water - even in a calm anchorage and non emergency situations. There's also a lot of strain on too-shallow ladders as the climber strains to get out, most of the effort is lateral rather than vertical because their feet are so high relative to their body. We had an aluminum over-the-side ladder fail this way.

All of which leads to the idea that this sort of thing is best done by custom fabrication.. a bit costly perhaps but this can/should be viewed as a safety item.

boatpoker 11-17-2012 11:17 AM

Ladders are not much use to a single hander if they cannot be lowered from the water.