Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
I realize it's heresy, but I never even look at the compass. I am a GPS man. I know, you respond, "But what happens if the GPS system goes out?" To which I then reply "if the GPS system goes out that probably means all out war, so I have worse problems to think about."

Hummm! If the GPS goes out you should rely on a back up system that you should have, at least the sail you make is not a local one.

Some radio stations come with an integrated GPS, even some hand held radio VHF have one, not to mention watches or cellphones. It is not expensive to have a back up system and everybody should have one.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
I realize it's heresy, but I never even look at the compass. I am a GPS man. I know, you respond, "But what happens if the GPS system goes out?" To which I then reply "if the GPS system goes out that probably means all out war, so I have worse problems to think about."

If I really needed the compass, I am sure I could switch off the radio and use the one in the cabin.

Okay further to that, would a radio give off enough heat that keeping it in the navpod would kill anything?
Consider... the main real-world problem with electronic nav aids is not the "sky part" but your own on-board part....
We have had enough problems with our "Low QC" Garmin that I would never deleberately compromise the basic compass-and-paper-charts part of the equation, and I do indeed use the chart plotter when under way -- also our trusty old iBook running GPSNavX.

If you feel the need to place magnetic stuff close to the steering compass, just remember to remove it FIRST when it dies. Once you dismount it and put it away, inside the cabin, your steering compass should be fine.

Of course, your compass has been swung and corrected, and a deviation card prepared, right?

And your paper charts are on-board and not more than ten years out of date, right?

And, back to the "door we came in"...... I have done a recent delivery on a boat with a StandardHorizon combo-vhf/ais. It was way cool.
Old 11-18-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

I have:

usually 4 or 5 GPS devices on board

and

No idea when the compass was last swung

and

of course no deviation card.

and a good set of paper charts that I do find very useful for global views when using the chart plotter up close.

All that having been said, my sailing is primarily the Great Lakes version of coastal sailing. It's pretty hard to get really lost.
Old 11-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have this Garmin wirelss Mic at the helm and it is invaluable. Even works in the dinghy up to about 1/2 mile away from the mothership. Uses the 25 watt main antanena and gets 10-12 hours battery life ( dpends on transmission usagenormally. Charger is in cabon next to main VHF.

Had a Uniden Wirelss before.

Garmin 010-11189-01

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-20-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

OK,, I think "I" have the absolute coolest remote VHF handheld for the cockpit. The primary cabin VHF is a Simrad RS25 (25 Watt output) and it comes with a Simrad (AHK05) cockpit remote handheld that is tied into the RS25 via BlueTooth! During it's "off" hours it sits in a charging stand. It is crispy clear. It works flawlessly, love it! Simrad is really stepping up IMHO.

Additionally it's DSC button ties into the DSC system on the RS25, very cool.

I should test to see how far it will work from a dinghy, next test on the list.

Last edited by kellysails; 11-20-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 11-20-2012

Simrad and the Garmin we have are the only wireless available right now

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-21-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

The Garmin looks great. If I did not have a complete Simrad end to end solution I might go with the Garmin instead. Garmin, IMHO, is making the biggest move in the marine electronics industry. Also I see that the Garmin remote supports three different Garmin cabin based radios. Garmin seems to also be using BlueTooth, which I am a big fan of.
Old 11-21-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
The Garmin looks great. If I did not have a complete Simrad end to end solution I might go with the Garmin instead. Garmin, IMHO, is making the biggest move in the marine electronics industry. Also I see that the Garmin remote supports three different Garmin cabin based radios. Garmin seems to also be using BlueTooth, which I am a big fan of.
Be warned. A good friend of mine was sailing in the Swiftsure race this year and found himself in fog, with shipping and race boats all around, when suddenly his chartplotter, GPS and AIS all died at once. They were all integrated and when one went down it took them all with it.

Personally I prefer multiple stand alone units that do NOT talk to each other. If one dies, it's less likely to take the rest down with it. I am willing to forgo the slick features of integration in favor of redundancy. But then again, I'm probably an anachronism because I've never bought an apple product.....

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 11-21-2012

Quote:
Personally I prefer multiple stand alone units that do NOT talk to each other. If one dies, it's less likely to take the rest down with it. I am willing to forgo the slick features of integration in favor of redundancy-MedSailor
We have Raymarine radar, chartplotter, AIS and ST60 instruments. They are all networked and operate all under stand alone mode also if you wish to conserve power. Just because you network them doesnt prevent you from having them available in stand alone.

Its an advantage to be able to overlay the radar and AIS on the chartplotter in some situations or even have them in side by side orientation on the same screen.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 11-22-2012
Banned

cherev is on a distinguished road

I once saw a rig where a speaker and a mike used a bundled cable from a nav-station radio. You had to swing down to the station to change channels, but could otherwise monitor and comm from behind the wheel.

But a hand-held works just find for bridge tenders and harbor masters.

Tags
dsc , gps , vhf radio