Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

The PO cutout a small cubby to locate the autopilot out of the way. I mounted the RAM next to it. Due to size it sticks out, but I like having it close by.
Old 11-22-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
Does your cabin VHF radio have the option of adding a remote mic? When I upgraded my VHF radio (to include DSC) on my last boat I made sure I purchased one with that option. I then mounted the remote mic right near the helm. It included all the controls to change channels, volume, make an emergency call etc. I'll probably do the same thing on my new boat.
That's the way to do it.
I did the same with my ICOM and a hard wired "Commandmic"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Since basic 25 watt VHF radios are inexpensive, wouldn't it be a better idea to have two modestly priced radios....one at nav station and one near/at helm? This way, if the radio itself failed, then there is a back up. One or both of these could have DSC, but the two should be less expensive than some of the fancy remote mike options.
Old 11-23-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me how long the "telephone" cord is on the Standard Horizon RAM3 remote?
Old 11-23-2012

Midnightflyer is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Honestly, in the four seasons I've had this vessel, I've used it once in a non-emergency. Cell phones seem to be our primary means of communication now.

"Cell phones seem to be our primary means of communication now".If you need help, with a cell phone only one person will hear you, with the VHF anyone within the range of the radio can hear you. They can come to help you or relay a message. Cell phones can't. My 2 cents worth.
L124C likes this.
Oday 28

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
Old 11-23-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I am in no way proposing to remove VHF capabilities from my vessel. No matter what I will have a fixed 25w radio in the cabin. I was just debating whether or not I needed the second one in the cockpit (which is usually in the way). Additionally, I have a 3-Watt waterproof VHF.
Old 11-23-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Since basic 25 watt VHF radios are inexpensive, wouldn't it be a better idea to have two modestly priced radios....one at nav station and one near/at helm? This way, if the radio itself failed, then there is a back up. One or both of these could have DSC, but the two should be less expensive than some of the fancy remote mike optionsNCC320

Thats an option 2 of course, but then some have limited room or dont wnat the added clutter. Most wired Ram Mikes are pretty cheap actually. If you get a second VHF would you also put a second antanaae on your mast?

The advantage of the wireless for me is that you arent teathered. Kind of like the advatage of a mobile phone in the house. I have a couple handhelds also. One for backup and one for the ditchbag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-23-2012

bobnpaula is on a distinguished road

agree with Jiminri and others.... VHF with DSC at nav station, RAM mike in cockpit. Works for us!
Old 11-23-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Thats an option 2 of course, but then some have limited room or dont wnat the added clutter. Most wired Ram Mikes are pretty cheap actually. If you get a second VHF would you also put a second antanaae on your mast?

The advantage of the wireless for me is that you arent teathered. Kind of like the advatage of a mobile phone in the house. I have a couple handhelds also. One for backup and one for the ditchbag.
As to antenna, with a radio at helm and also below at nav desk, they could share the same antenna with a manual switch operated from the nav desk (leave normal position for antenna to helm radio, switch only when you choose to use at nav desk). Or a second antenna. Or a second antenna that is mounted on rail. The only advantage of the 2 radio option is that you get a backup to the radio. With the one radio and RAM mikes, if the radio goes, you have no radio. Might be an advantage for those who go offshore and are subject to adverse conditions for extended periods.

I personally have 25 watt radio, mast top antenna at nav desk, and handheld portable at helm or with me, as appropriate. Don't use either often.
Old 11-23-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

IMO you need to be able to hear and operate the VHF in the cockpit (and monitor 16, which many people don't).
Hearing CG securities (sp?) can be helpful! While sailing mid day, we heard a Securtitie concerning two 60 foot Dead Heads (floating pilings) near our marina. Sailing back at dusk, we spotted the dead heads directly in our path. I know for a fact, we would not have noticed them if we hadn't been warned, and would have T boned them, doing about 5 knots!
In addition, I have come to the aid of several Skippers in my area because I heard their communications with the CG on 16. I hope others will do the same for me if I ever am in need. You can't respond if you don't know a problem exists. BTW...If you assume the CG will come to your rescue, one might wonder why the aforementioned dead heads were still floating around in the bay at Six PM, when the CG was aware of them at Noon! Not judging, just saying that often we are on our own out there.
So, no matter how you do it (and no, a hand held doesn't count IMO), you need to to be able to hear and use the VHF from the cockpit. I moved my VHF from the middle of the Salon to inside the companionway for just this reason. Search my posts to see how I did it if interested (no easy task on my boat!).

Tags
dsc , gps , vhf radio