Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

Most problems occuring from "broken" vhf occur because of bad or loose connections to the antennae. We have a spare emergency one on board.

Dave
olson34 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

To be able to hear the VHF in the cockpit I wired in an external speaker. Have a handheld VHF as well outside. The fixed mount inside is always on.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 11-24-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We have this Garmin wirelss Mic at the helm and it is invaluable. Even works in the dinghy up to about 1/2 mile away from the mothership. Uses the 25 watt main antanena and gets 10-12 hours battery life ( dpends on transmission usagenormally. Charger is in cabon next to main VHF.Had a Uniden Wirelss before.
I assumed the mic was also a speaker, but saw a speaker was requrired for it to act as an "intercom". How do you hear it when used as a VHF remote?
Old 11-26-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I assumed the mic was also a speaker, but saw a speaker was requrired for it to act as an "intercomL124C
If you wanted to set up an intercom below to the cabin from the cockpit you need a remote speaker. You cant talk to the VHF stationary unit from the remote as it uses the stationary unit. We didnt set this up...I just yell downstairs. When you get reception back you can hear it on both speakers ( wireless and fixed similtaneuosly) Does this make sense?

The wireless has a good speaker in it.
L124C likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-26-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I think Panbo was recently talking about a totally wireless cockpit unit which of course means it will have to be recharged somehow anyway.

But with the way Bluetooth has spread in the last couple of years, I'd have to ask how stupid the marine vhf industry was if they didn't have a dozen Bluetooth-based remote head unit solutions by the end of the year. Which makes the "hard" part of the connection into a $5 chip and a ruggedized Android phone, something the Chinese can put on the market for $100 retail.

I still like a h/t as the "cockpit mic", the "TOO MUCH STUFF" rule just seems to kick in if I think about a remote head for a new VHF below.
Old 11-26-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth when I think bluetooth I think about the buggy, unreliable and underachieving protocol that I've never gotten to work reliably for anything but a mouse. Also the protocol some engineer friends of mine scorn after developing a product that used it to connect to iPhones and Android phones.

Unless the device absolutely needs to connect to PC's or phones I'd rather just have them use the cheap underlying 2.4ghz radio technology that's now a commodity for the reasons Hello says and make/debug their own protocol. But maybe things have gotten better.
Old 11-26-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

There have been a lot of different variations in BT. From the implementations used in the early Palms that were buggy as all getout, to the current 4th generation software which tends to be rock-solid. Although of course that varies with the vendor. If some of those products are poorly engineered, well, your engineer friends might consider that BT is only one aspect of that failure. (G)

Making their own protocol? If a decades-old consortium hasn't already gotten it right, how buggy will a new one be? With what kind of costs to recover before it can be implemented, and what kind of proprietary and non-interchangeable hardware and software, driving costs up tenfold again?

Why build a better horse and carriage, when you can just hop on and ride? Don't like BT? OK, there's WiFi, WirelessUSB, and a host of others on the shelf. BT, with standards for 10-meter and 100-meter range, and heavy support for simple audio devices, would just seem like a good place to start. Raytheon's WiFi networked instrument systems, another.
Old 11-26-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

You guys have covered pretty much everything. Fixed mount at the Nav desk with Ram in the cockpit for us as well.
This also allows you to use your eyes when speaking with or assisting the CG.
I had the experience of helping a disabled boat (lost steering for some reason), he was giving the CG bad information and the CG could not find him.
We were in the area and saw a boat that looked to be disabled about 3 miles form our location; no sails up and boobing in relativity big seas miles form any shoreline.
I made contact with the CG on VHF-16 knowing they were looking for him. As soon as I made contact with the CG the disabled boat shot off a flare confirming he was in fact the boat the CG was looking for. Had I not been in the cockpit I probably would have missed the flare.
RAM mic in cockpit allows you to see what's going on around you while communicating.

One more point, they can be used in intercom mode. Now on a small boat this may not seem like an advantage, but I can tell you, it is a real fun way to play a trick on your wife . Hello, Hello, sailing vessel Julianna do you read me?
Sleepy wife on her 4-hour off watch comes crawling up from down below. "Did you hear that?" After she realizes what has happened she mutters something to the affect of, "I'm going to kill you.".
L124C and chef2sail like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 11-26-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Hello, like I said, for what it's worth (perhaps not much) Bluetooth scares me if it's inserted in a critical application (honestly wifi does too but wifi in practice has gotten pretty damn reliable).

To your point, consider the reliability of an all-in-one Garmin chartplotter versus a PC running Garmin nav software with a USB GPS. Even though the custom chartplotter requires Garmin to "reinvent the wheel" for lots of functionality Windows would otherwise take care of, because they can control the whole thing the result is more reliable. I think we'd both rather rely on the all-in-one.
Old 11-26-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Be warned. A good friend of mine was sailing in the Swiftsure race this year and found himself in fog, with shipping and race boats all around, when suddenly his chartplotter, GPS and AIS all died at once. They were all integrated and when one went down it took them all with it.

Personally I prefer multiple stand alone units that do NOT talk to each other. If one dies, it's less likely to take the rest down with it. I am willing to forgo the slick features of integration in favor of redundancy. But then again, I'm probably an anachronism because I've never bought an apple product.....

MedSailor
Yup, hear you on that. I keep a couple of gps standby's around and always have a hard copy chart for where I am cruising. I don't have a backup for AIS but I should put more thought to that. AIS is invaluable.

Tags
dsc , gps , vhf radio