Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-27-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Fixed mount at the Nav desk with Ram in the cockpit for us as well. This also allows you to use your eyes when speaking with or assisting the CG.
I had the experience of helping a disabled boat (lost steering for some reason), he was giving the CG bad information and the CG could not find him.
We were in the area and saw a boat that looked to be disabled about 3 miles form our location; no sails up and boobing in relativity big seas miles form any shoreline.
I made contact with the CG on VHF-16 knowing they were looking for him. As soon as I made contact with the CG the disabled boat shot off a flare confirming he was in fact the boat the CG was looking for. Had I not been in the cockpit I probably would have missed the flare.
RAM mic in cockpit allows you to see what's going on around you while communicating.
Well said. Pretty much answers the OP's question. If the disabled boat was communicating via cell phone, or you hadn't been monitoring 16 and heard the communication in the cockpit (if thats where you were), you probably would have been oblivious to his situation. In big seas, the shoreline might not have been "miles from him" for long!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
Hello, like I said, for what it's worth (perhaps not much) Bluetooth scares me if it's inserted in a critical application (honestly wifi does too but wifi in practice has gotten pretty damn reliable).

To your point, consider the reliability of an all-in-one Garmin chartplotter versus a PC running Garmin nav software with a USB GPS. Even though the custom chartplotter requires Garmin to "reinvent the wheel" for lots of functionality Windows would otherwise take care of, because they can control the whole thing the result is more reliable. I think we'd both rather rely on the all-in-one.
Hmmm, not sure I would trust my life more on a mediocre Operating System built for the masses "Windows" rather than a purpose built firmware specialized in navigation. Far fewer code paths to QA in purpose built specialized firmware, and no blue screens. IMHO.

Additionally, the biggest issues with BlueTooth is when there are a myriad of devices trying to interconnect with slightly different BT implementations. Now if you have a fixed solution, such as a single remote device connecting to a single end system from the same manufacturer, like Garmin devices to Garmin devices and Simrad devices to Simrad devices; it is very easy to ensure the correct matching and pairing work flawlessly. When Joe Blows BT implementation is of one flavor (chipset) is trying to reliably pair with Random Rons BT implementation (who uses a different chip set) problems can occur. Testing and validating specific devices is the only way to make BT resilient. Again IMHO.

Last edited by kellysails; 11-27-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: BlueTooth rant
Old 11-27-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Trust my life? Um, thinking of the shutdown on Millenium Falken. Or Independence Day. (G)

No, thank you, I don't consider recreational-boat navionics to be critical systems. Convenient, yes. Handy, yes, Mission critical or trusting my life? No, not to any of them. I've seen GPS go to lunch, independent of the hardware. And LORAN insist that wormholes existed. WIndows BSODs, Android goes out to lunch, and anyone who has used a Mac long enough knows the system bomb. Oh, sure, it reboots quicky, meanwhile it still crashed.

If I'm relying on electronics, I try to be that mythical "prudent mariner" and make sure there's at least two different systems singing the same choir song. And if there's only one, I try to make sure my eyes are out of the boat and I've got something else to rely on.

Trust my life? To some duplicitous silicon critter oftne made by and for exploited slave labor and robber barons? Yeah, I know, they only WISH they could be robber barons.

No, I trust my life to quantum physics, which gives me very long odds that the hull will not simply become porous and allow the ocean to come in without warning.
chef2sail and MedSailor like this.

Tags
dsc , gps , vhf radio