SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Little boat ...BIG Job. Lot fun! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94185-little-boat-big-job-lot-fun.html)

Lifeguard 11-17-2012 02:11 PM

Little boat ...BIG Job. Lot fun!

5 Attachment(s)
This my newport 16 project. From buy, scratch. To paint JOB. GELCOAT. REALLY HARD JOB. You can see how was the gelcoat cracked. With lot of patience, love and not much money. I took off all the bad gelcoat and re gelcoat. For someone who knows nothing about gel coat but love sailing I think its ok:) Now ready for sanding , buffing and put all parts together. Any advice on this final stage will be appreciated.

CalebD 11-17-2012 03:13 PM

Re: Little boat ...BIG Job. Lot fun!

Nice looking job with the gel coat. Looks like you sprayed it on.

I'd suggest using Butyl tape for bedding any hardware that is fastened onto your nice new gel coated deck. Need Butyl Tape ?? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Stores that sell RV supplies would likely carry a similar product.
Here is an article on re-bedding deck hardware: Re-Bedding Deck Hardware Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Good luck.

rhr1956 11-17-2012 03:20 PM

I second the butyl tape. You can get it real cheap in either white or grey and an RV center.

SloopJonB 11-17-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifeguard (Post 949754)
Now ready for sanding , buffing and put all parts together. Any advice on this final stage will be appreciated.

Read Maine Sail's "sticky" post in this sub-forum about "compound, polish & wax" - tells you everything.

tschmidty 11-17-2012 09:03 PM

Awesome, I just sold my Newport 16. Really liked that boat and took it from two halves of a hull and a mast to the ocean! Ok not far out but still. Was really happy with how well that boat sailed.

Headed home now with a Spirit 23 in tow. Apparently woman folk need more accommodations the the Newport has...

Bruce_L 11-18-2012 09:11 PM

I feel your pain brother, I have been repairing cracked/flaking gelcoat for 4 weeks non stop, finish tomorrow. Side decks, front deck and toe rails and rub rails. I opted to just apply thickened epoxy filler and top coat with interlux paint. Boat was already painted when I purchased it. I think the el-cheapo previous paint held moisture and damaged the gelcoat underneath. We could start a "Sandpaper fraternity", you'd qualify for President for sure !!!! Your results look great man, what a rough start !!!

Cruiser2B 11-18-2012 10:27 PM

Man that is a nice job! Love seeing old boats brought back to life. It is a lot of work but I think in many cases well worth the effort.

Lifeguard 11-21-2012 06:35 AM

For those who ask for job price on private msg. I will put it here for the others.
GELCOAT 3 gallons! (and other associated chemicals) $300
SAND PAPER like $150 . FIRST COAT UNCURED...:(so...3 coats at the end. ;)
My time(a lot) FREE!
NOW ..the end part ! sand and BUFF...

BTW two $45 sprayguns killed.. jajaja!!

OVERALL .. with misc. like $600 project.

actually I got a lot of pics ..but cant load it here. So let me know i you want some.