Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-18-2012

thedude is on a distinguished road
did someone pee in my racor?

Hey everyone
Jokes aside, I've just purchased my first boat and therefore my first diesel engine and I know nothing about it. The boat is an Islander 36 with a 42hp Pathfinder engine. Both are 1982 models. We've owned the boat for 2 months and ran the diesel more than 2 dozen times. It starts up and runs beautifully in my unknowing opinion. Now in trying to familiarize myself with the workings of the beast beneath the steps, I've got questions.

There was liquid in the bowl of my Racor 500fg, so I did what I thought was right and removed this plug from the bottom of the filter's bowl.

It drained quite a lot of stuff. Most of which, in my limited knowledge, looked and smelled like diesel.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to do this. What kind of problem do I have here?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Re: did someone pee in my racor?

The Racor is intended to separate water from your diesel fuel. Water collects at the bottom of the Racor, because it's denser then diesel. If you look at the bottom of the Racor, you're either going to see water or diesel. You may have simply drained away some diesel fuel. If there was any water in your racor, it's gone now.

Whether there's any water in the bottom of your fuel tank is still an unknown. As I said, it sinks.
Old 11-18-2012

Azzarac is on a distinguished road

Yep, you drained your filter bowl. If you didn't have the engine running while you did this you may need to prime the filter before trying to start the engine. Otherwise you will be sucking air and cause starting to be difficult.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

That's what clean diesel looks like. Just put the plug back in, pull the top off of the Racor, and fill it back up. Check the paper filter inside the top and replace it if it's all scummy. The filter element is #1020 for the medium sized one, I don't know the other numbers but it's probably on the old one.

Old 11-18-2012

mike dryver is on a distinguished road

Hello theDude put the valve plug back in with a new gasket washer on top of the knurled end. tighten hand tight. to fill Racor back up break free t-handle at top unwind a couple of turns and lift lid gently (if it won't move rap it a little with a screw driver handle while pulling up. it should break free) unwind t rest of way, replace filter pour, fuel into filter to just about the top and check seal on t and o-ring on cover, replace, close up again and start her up. Check for leaks fuel out, air in. if all is good your set to go Good sailing and good luck with your new to you boat.
note: the next time you want to check drain the filter, just crack the valve at the bottom, and drain a little with a plastic cup or pint water bottle under valve. It should come out under pressure, so no worries of spraying all over.
Do not do any of this if the engine is running because you'll introduce air into the system!!!!!!!

Last edited by mike dryver; 11-18-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2012

mike dryver is on a distinguished road

Hey theDude I believe you can only get 2 micron filters for that filter at least that is the only ones I can get for mine up here in Nh. upper Mass. 2 micron is about as small as you can go and is usually smaller that the secondary on the motor. don't know why but that is what I was told my Volvo has a 10 micron and I can't get a smaller

Last edited by mike dryver; 11-18-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver View Post
Hey theDude I believe you can only get 2 micron filters for that filter at least that is the only ones I can get for mine up here in Nh. upper Mass. 2 micron is about as small as you can go and is usually smaller that the secondary on the motor. don't know why but that is what I was told my Volvo has a 10 micron and I can't get a smaller
10 micron & 30 micron are also available WM in Portsmouth & Seabrook have them as does Jackson's in Kittery...

It looks to me like the OP has road diesel in the tank which is why it looks like pee instead of cranberry juice...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-18-2012

thedude is on a distinguished road

thanks guys. i thought any liquid in the bowl was water. the bowl was full and that made it hard to decipher what the liquid was. good info on the follow up procedure as well, thanks. and yes, that would be road diesel. the previous owners doing.

not knowing the mechanics of the thing, this description from the parker website confuses me. makes it seem like the only thing that should be in the bowl are contaminants.

Stage One: Separation
As fuel enters the filter assembly, it moves through the centrifuge and spins off large solids and water droplets which fall to the bottom of the collection bowl.

Stage Two: Coalescing
Small water droplets bead-up on the surface of the conical baffle and cartridge element. When heavy enough, they too fall to the bottom of the bowl.

Stage Three: Filtration
Proprietary Aquabloc® cartridge elements repel water and remove contaminants from fuel down to two micron (nominal). They are waterproof and effective longer then water absorbing elements.
Old 11-18-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Great engine.. we've had the same in our last two boats. The Bosch injector pump is pretty good at self bleeding as long as it you get the fuel to it.

Fuel in your sample looks clean..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-18-2012
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Make sure you seal the racor properly when you put it back together - you need the fuel system to be completely airtight.

I believe the clear bowl on the racor allows you to see water (it will separate from diesel and appear distinct in colour). This sinks in diesel so you can bleed it out with the drain at the bottom. I say I believe as in four years of running a boat with a racor I never actually had to do this...