Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hardware Store Epoxy?

As a practical matter, for a 1/8" hole that is in uncored fiberglass?

I might just buy a real short 1/8" stainless steel nut and bolt and bed it in some sealant. No one pays attention to "one more bolt".

Or, I'd break out the white MarineTex. Which isn't cheap but is conveniently durable and available in WHITE so there's no blending or coloring needed, it will look like a better finished repair with less bother.

For that matter, a dab of 5200 or other permanent white adhesive/caulk probably is all you need for a 1/8" hole. This is not a job to obsess over.
asdf38 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2012

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=hellosailor;951125]
Or, I'd break out the white MarineTex. Which isn't cheap but is conveniently durable and available in WHITE so there's no blending or coloring needed, it will look like a better finished repair with less bother.
QUOTE]

I was leaning this way, for the reasons you describe, plus it looks like I might be able to save the leftover MarineTex for other stuff (I've had bad experiences with leftover epoxy in the past).
Old 11-20-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Your argument is specious because the ASTM cert (if it exists) does not compare it to the brands available at hardware stores.

Why would I assume your figures are accurate? (I already told you I don't trust what salesmen tell me, unless verified by independent objective third-party proof.)

I bought 3M epoxy resin and hardener at Lowes. It appears the same product is rebranded by West Marine as their epoxy.

I don't believe there is any difference, other than the price and the pump, unless you prove otherwise.
ASTM is a 3rd party testing lab, and testing protocol book that does exacally what you are asking for. Assuming West Systems has the cert (they do btw) then there is a third party lab that has verified the numbers they claim are in fact what was measured.

If you want more third party than this I don't know what to tell you. The hardware brand in the same physical property test has numbers about 1/5 what West Systems does. Now they may be lying about their product, and I don't think they have it tested, but I also highly doubt they are going to lie about it to make it look worse than it is.

3M is a while different story. They make a huge variety of different resins depending on application. Heck they have two different resins just for pultruding, let alone thier infusion resins, adhesive resins, bagging resins, baking resins, low temprature resins, underwater resins, ect... I haven't counted but that likely have 40 or 50 different resins for different specific applications. They may all be similar, but they are not all the same.
Old 11-20-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

[quote=Rusty123;951162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
QUOTE]

I was leaning this way, for the reasons you describe, plus it looks like I might be able to save the leftover MarineTex for other stuff (I've had bad experiences with leftover epoxy in the past).
Personally I refuse to use MarineTex, but for this it would likely work fine. It's just very expensive by volume, and much lower quality than most.
Old 11-20-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

For this particular case I agree with what Hello said. It's a 1/8" hole afterall.

And to add another product to the mix consider this which I've seen in home depot and hardware stores. JB is well known and it's rated for 4000 PSI for what that's worth:
Amazon.com: jb marine weld Amazon.com: jb marine weld

That said, the wise thing to do is to get something that you'll want to use in the future. I bought marine-tex for the reasons stated - it's white and it's pretty easy (note I think a selling point is it's supposed flexibility) but it's expensive for the volume. Since then I've bought west which leaves my expensive marine tex with little use. Once you have west you'll find plenty of uses for it and it lasts a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Do you have any objective, third-party test results that prove that?

I am not so gullible to accept what a salesman or a manufacturer claims to be true.
In my experience so far I've yet to come across many ways to replace marine grade equipment with non-marine. At the end of the day it's just not worth it when working on boats is so damn time consuming (or expensive).

While sometimes marine stuff seems like a ripoff it's the combination of two things: high quality needed for a difficult environment and, an even bigger factor most of the time, low quantity manufacturing.
Old 11-20-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

West has a new product in the WM store in a dual tube small applicator six10 that is another option. It is premixed with a thickener so it is good for many small applications and the applicator is part of the package.
Old 11-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've used well over a dozen different brands of epoxy from hardware store dual syringe packs to West to no-name industrial stuff. I've used every kind of mix from 1 to 1 up to 6 to 1. I've also used just about every kind of thickener, colourant etc. etc.

The only difference I have found in any of the epoxies is the tailoring of their curing qualities - faster, slower, cold weather, wet conditions, laminating etc.

I have never found any difference in their bonding ability or strength if they are used in the correct context - like not using regular laminating resin in wet or cold conditions. No difference in "quality" as it were.

People in the industry have told me that the base resins come from only a handful of refiners - everybody gets their base stock from those few suppliers and then customizes them with their own additive mix for the specialized service conditions I mentioned.
jameswilson29 likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.