SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Painting a boat trailer

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  rbyham 
#1 ·
What paint would you recommend for a trailer? It will be used to ramp launch a j22 in fresh water. I am planning on rolling it on after prep. Thanks to all!
DD

#2 ·
I'm no trailer expert but I think I'd be tempted to use bed liner.

#11 ·
Clean, Prime, Paint. I painted a trailer last year. I started by taking everything that was bolted together apart. Removed lights, fenders, axle, springs wheels, tongue, wiring, bunks etc. I sandblasted all the pieces one by one, priming them immediately after wiping the dust of with thinner. Painting was the final step. I used gloss black Rustoleum. Put it all back together and it now looks brand new. Even pin striped it!

#14 ·
let me revive this older paint the trailer thread. See pic. I would love to improve the look and longevity of this trailer. Basically it is a mobile cradle as it has no brakes and currently no lights. I am thinking grind on it to clean then rustoleum? Whatcha think? Ignore the boat as it is in the water and being slowly updated...

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
I've done some cradles in a boatyard - if you don't want to spend the $$ to sandblast it (best choice) then clean it with a stiff wire cup brush in an angle grinder. Get the cups where the brush looks like a ring of pieces of wire rope - they are the stiffest & most aggressive.

Be sure to get into the nooks & crannies & corners with a smaller brush or rust will start back up there.

Don't "grind" it with a disk - doesn't work nearly as well and misses lots of area as well as leaving heavy marks everywhere.

I'd paint it with bed liner - Rhino Liner or similar. Doesn't look that great due to the heavy texturing but it's designed to be waterproof and to take a lot of abuse.

Be sure to flip it over or at least on its side and start painting from the bottom, then back upright & finish up - most people just raise them up to paint the underside so it doesn't get a very good coat and that's where water clings & rust starts.

#21 ·
A question about Rust-Oleum. Is it meant to stop existing rust or is it more preventive as in get rid of the rust, get down to clean metal and the Rust-Oleum will keep the rust away? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.