Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Poly Holding Tank

I buy it locally from a restaurant supply outfit. You could try sending them an email for a list of retail outlets
Old 11-28-2012

redline is on a distinguished road

I went through a similar story last spring; a couple seasons ago the aft tank in my 1998 Jeanneau SO 45.2 had developed pinholes at the lower corner (it is a 130 litre tank under the aft port berth, hence wide, long, and relatively shallow). When we first discovered the pinholes the yard did a temporarily repair with JB Weld, which actually worked very well, but the thought of that corner of the tank eventually dropping out scared me.

Because the tank is under a berth with only about 1/2" space above it plus the thickness of the wooden berth surface (cut out to clear the tank sensor) and the dip tubes exit the ends (pump-out and vent aft, inlet and (decommissioned) overboard discharge forward), I was unable to find anyone who could build a poly tank that would fit without major renovations. Jeanneau quoted USD $800 for the tank, not including shipping from France, and I had reservations about both the longevity and accuracy of the fit a dozen years later (the PO got a replacement rudder that was significantly different from the original and eventually had to be returned).

I finally went with a local metal shop who made a custom tank out of thicker gauge and better quality (316) stainless, with the fittings exactly where they needed to be. I had to shave a small section of the berth cover underside 1/4" to clear one corner, but otherwise it was a drop-in and IMO well worth it.

The original quote was for CAD 1790 in 12GA 306 or CAD 2040 in 12GA 316, but the final invoice was $1270 for the 316 version. Based on the weight difference alone, this one should last me a good while. Now I'm thinking of the forward tank, which doesn't leak (yet), (I think).

I have no relation to the company other than as a satisfied customer; but they aren't exactly in your neck of the woods, and shipping a tank that size won't be cheap (I was lucky to be able to borrow my nephew's car trailer).

Atelier d'Usinage Choiniere
100 Kemp, Bedford Quebec
450-248-2887

I dealt with Etienne. It may help if you can speak French.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
.....She does say in the material you provided the link to that if such a practice fills the holding tank too quickly then the extra water can flushed only at the end of the day or the end of the cruise....
I use that method when we have a lot of people aboard. I would bet doing it often would permeate the lines sooner.

Quote:
The manual for the electric head says it only needs 1-2 pints per flush.
They're in the business of selling toilets and the bowl will be empty with very little water. Think about a common setup with a waste line that rises to a tank in the cabinet. Don't you want to chase the waste with clean water to clear that line? Way more than a pint or two, whether manual or electric.

Quote:
The new boat does have a slight head smell when it's been closed up for a bit, while the old boat--after I replace the vent and a few other hoses--was completely odor free. My winter task list includes checking all of the hoses and replacing any as necessary as well as making sure the vent is clear.
Most don't flush enough and you may have permeated hoses. In fact, as I was digging my floor out, I found a factory original waste line with a serious dip in it. That will always hold waste/water. Going to need to be replaced and braced up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Most don't flush enough and you may have permeated hoses. In fact, as I was digging my floor out, I found a factory original waste line with a serious dip in it. That will always hold waste/water. Going to need to be replaced and braced up.
ABS ! no low spots, easy to control the fall, cheap & easy to work with and no need to force it into a radius that will collapse it and no smell ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Poly Holding Tank-picture-014.jpg   Poly Holding Tank-picture-018.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
You'd be wise to call Triple M Plastics in Maine. These guys are great, very reasonable and specialize and build fire truck bodies & custom tanks out of plastic. These bodies see some very, very tough abuse especially going down NE roads in frost-heave season. These guys really know how to build a custom plastic tank with proper baffling. Lyman-Morse and many other high quality Maine builders use them too. They have done a number of custom tanks for me and they have all been top notch.

Why any builder is stupid enough to use SS or aluminum for holding tanks is beyond me.....

Metals don't like acids, urine is HIGHLY corrosive to metals..............

This was a three year old tank from a supposed "high quality" US built boat..
I really had no idea a SS tank would get like this. Learn something everyday.

Thanks Sailnet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I really had no idea a SS tank would get like this. Learn something everyday.

Thanks Sailnet!
I don't see where Mainesail said it was ss. That tank & weld seam looks much more like aluminum than ss.

Last edited by boatpoker; 11-28-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-28-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I don't see where Mainesail said it was ss. That tank & weld seam looks much more like aluminum than ss.
Thank you for your keen observation.......but

****Why any builder is stupid enough to use SS or aluminum for holding tanks is beyond me.....**** was in my quote of Maine Sail

would a SS tank look any different in the same conditions?

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Thank you for your keen observation.......but

****Why any builder is stupid enough to use SS or aluminum for holding tanks is beyond me.....**** was in my quote of Maine Sail

would a SS tank look any different in the same conditions?
A weld on aluminum is distinctly different in appearance than on ss and I have seen many corroded aluminum tanks, the colour with the white oxide is also distinctive however you can ask Mainesail for confirmation.
Old 12-04-2012

richardb123 is on a distinguished road

The best solution is, by far, a composting toilet.
Old 12-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

A composting toilet is not going to happen here. We have a lot of guests. Maybe 100 per season. Statistically, most of them would find it gross and have no predisposition to how it works. Pee in this, poop in that. Yes, you are peeing and pooping on top of the last guys stuff. Ew.

I'm not saying they're bad, I'm only saying they are a very poor choice for entertaining. Imgaine a hotel that would put them in their rooms.

We have electric flush toilets that are as close to what you may use at home as anything. You just hold the buttons longer.
smackdaddy likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.