SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Paint thinner for soft ablative bottom paint (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94446-paint-thinner-soft-ablative-bottom-paint.html)

jameswilson29 11-26-2012 09:48 AM

Paint thinner for soft ablative bottom paint

West Marine recommends using Pettit "Old Salem" general purpose brushing thinner at $32/quart :eek: for use with it's CPP soft ablative bottom paint.

I just barely stretched a gallon last year to cover the bottom of my P28 and I would like to use just a little bit of thinner to ensure full coverage this upcoming season.

Is ordinary hardware store paint thinner o.k. for use with soft ablative bottom paint?

Sabreman 11-26-2012 10:33 AM

Paint thinner for soft ablative bottom paint

I wouldn't try to stretch bottom paint by thinning. Unlike other paints who's purpose is to provide a protective coating, CPP bottom paint contains copper which prevents marine growth. Thinning will thus reduce the effectiveness of the bottom paint, possibly resulting in more growth.

Better to buy an extra quart or gallon and save the extra for the next season. It doesn't go bad.

TQA 11-26-2012 11:33 AM

Re: Paint thinner for soft ablative bottom paint

Acetone or toluene has worked for me with Seahawk ablative paint.

Try a small test patch first.

Fstbttms 11-26-2012 11:59 AM

+1 to what Sabreman said.

Cheaping out is usually a sure recipe for regret. Nobody ever said they put too much anti fouling paint on the boat.

PorFin 11-26-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fstbttms (Post 953285)
Nobody ever said they put too much anti fouling paint on the boat.

No, but I sure was cussing my boat's PO's when I had to strip 8+ layers of soft and hard paint off my bottom a few years back :laugher

downeast450 11-26-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 953233)
West Marine recommends using Pettit "Old Salem" general purpose brushing thinner at $32/quart :eek: for use with it's CPP soft ablative bottom paint.

I just barely stretched a gallon last year to cover the bottom of my P28 and I would like to use just a little bit of thinner to ensure full coverage this upcoming season.

Is ordinary hardware store paint thinner o.k. for use with soft ablative bottom paint?

= white kerosene

Down

Sabreman 11-26-2012 12:38 PM

I'll provide a caution against using common "thinners". Many/most of them are petroleum distillates and will evaporate, sometimes rapidly depending on what is used and the temperature. IMO, they shouldn't be called "thinners"; "solvent" is a better choice of words. Effective thinners or brushing agents, are purpose-made. Penetrol comes to mind, which I used from time to time. With that said, virtually all finishes recommend against any thinning except as a sealer coat. With bottom paint, thinning works against you.

MarkSF 11-26-2012 01:56 PM

I'd be buying two gallons - then you can put a second coat on the high wear areas (waterline, leading edges of keel, etc.)