SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Mainsheet Salsa (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94450-mainsheet-salsa.html)

smurphny 11-26-2012 12:24 PM

Mainsheet Salsa

Just picked up a 92' remnant of 3/8" (10mm) Salsa for a really good price. Am planning on using it to replace my mainsheet. Any feedback on this stuff from someone with experience with it? It seems to be nice and pliable and has enough stretch to absorb shock loads nicely but it does seem more slippery than the traditional double braid I have now and is a size smaller.

Stumble 11-26-2012 12:52 PM

Re: Mainsheet Salsa

If it is the Salsa from NER, it's great, in large part because it doesn't stretch. Right now I am using it for my jib and main sheets, and would absolutely buy it again.

smurphny 11-26-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumble (Post 953340)
If it is the Salsa from NER, it's great, in large part because it doesn't stretch. Right now I am using it for my jib and main sheets, and would absolutely buy it again.

Thanks Stumble. It is NE Rope. Found it at a WM for .60/ft as an end. Just spliced in the fiddle block bushing in about 20 minutes. I like the fact that the 12 strand line is so easy to splice compared to double braids.

SchockT 11-26-2012 01:53 PM

A 92' "roll end"? Thats a pretty good size for a remnant! Usually remnants are such because they are too short to be of much use!

smurphny 11-26-2012 02:44 PM

I know it. I was really surprised to see such a long piece. They're usually too short. Maybe it was a return? It's actually just the right length for my mainsheet. I really went in to buy some 12g. flares while down in FL while visiting for Thanksgiving.

Stumble 11-26-2012 05:16 PM

Sometimes you see stuff like this off of custom orders that were never picked up, or returns. I was just down in Stuart Florida and saw a 300' 5/8" amsteel blue return sold as a remnant. If I could have come up with anything that I could justify holding onto it for I would have snatched it up in a minute. But nothing I use is that large, and none of the commercial stuff is that small.

smurphny 11-26-2012 06:44 PM

Just measured the 92' piece of Salsa which is actually 82'. Still 8' longer than my existing sheet and a good deal but not 92'. Guess I should have not expected that a WM employee could actually measure something. The floor people had no clue as to the intended uses or specs which I had to locate for them in their own catalog:laugher Love that Amsteel. Replaced all my old wire lifelines 2 yrs ago with 3/8". Am looking for a new main halyard as well before next season and would like to use Dyneema/Amsteel to replace the old wire-rope line. Would like to use straight 3/8" Amsteel but it's too slippery by itself without a cover. By the time you get done buying the line and cover, might as well just buy Warpspeed or similar line. I'll probably wind up just replacing the wire-rope with same.

Just north of Stuart is the store I got this at, right on rt.1.

Stumble 11-26-2012 07:11 PM

The best halyard is probably endurabraid. Which is a dyneema core with a poly cover.

If you do your own splicing, I make my own. Start with a amsteel core, and splice on a few feet of cover either from a stripped line, or you can buy the cover seperate. All the strength of amsteel, the hand of thicker line, and a fraction the cost of endurabraid.

smurphny 11-26-2012 08:08 PM

Will be on the lookout this winter for a good deal on a new halyard. Actually, I have no problem with an original wire-rope halyard because of the low stretch. With the relatively large main on my boat, any stretch in the halyard really negatively affects the sail shape. The .4 stretch ratios on synthetics are acceptable, I just can't bring my cheap self to pay the ridiculous prices. A new wire-rope is around $140, a high-tech synthetic is around twice as much. If I thought a piece of standard double braid like Sta-set would work, I'd try it but the stretch ratios are just too high.

Stumble 11-26-2012 09:00 PM

Smurph,

The Alberg 35 has what a 80' halyard? Figure for that go with 1/4" amsteel blue. You will also need to pick up about 10' of sampsons flavored ice cover. Just splice the cover over the amsteel starting a little before it enters the clutch, and runs down to where it will be winched up. For this setup, you would be looking at around $100, assuming you do the splices yourself; figure $150 if you pay a rigger to do them. Given that the splices take about 10 minutes for this set up total I would recommend just doing them yourself.

I also do this for any of my lines that have really hard wear points to protect the amsteel from abrasion.