Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cookwithgas
  • 1 Post By Faster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
rework or leave alone the old wooden rudder

During my overhaul last winter I didnt get time to address the old wooden rudder that came with the boat so I gave it a light sanding and a few coats of polyurethane. Now I'm going after some of the projects I couldnt complete before last season started. My plan is to sand it down thouroghly. Then use body filler to smooth all the bumps and bruses including a quarter size knotch on the trailing edge. Once it is smooth I plan to cover it in 1 layer of fiberglass and lots of resin. After its good and smooth I will paint it then add bottom paint. My reasoning for this is to increase the strength and integrity of the rudder. I would also like to be able to leave it in the water with the rest of the boat. Last year every time I was done sailing I would unpin it and lift it down below so it would be out of the weather. Its got to weigh all of 50 pounds and kind of a pain in the ass because of it being awkward to move it about. I would appreciate comments on how I will be doing this or the products being used as I'm always looking for new products and techniques. Please see the attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
rework or leave alone the old wooden rudder-cheektowaga-20120506-00483.jpg   rework or leave alone the old wooden rudder-cheektowaga-20120506-00484.jpg   rework or leave alone the old wooden rudder-cheektowaga-20120506-00486.jpg   rework or leave alone the old wooden rudder-cheektowaga-20120508-00500.jpg   rework or leave alone the old wooden rudder-buffalo-20111110-00167.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2012

cookwithgas is on a distinguished road
Re: rework or leave alone the old wooden rudder

Just my 2 cents - I replaced my wood rudder BUT it was a solid hunk of wood and I needed a kick-up rudder. Yours looks like it kicks up already so the wood should work. I would not use body filler. West systems has a powder like material you can add to the epoxy the gives you a body filler type result. Use this instead. Here is what my original rudder looked like on my Mac 22:

I fabricated a rudder using HDPE from a cooking supply manufacturer - 1.5" thick! It was fairly heavy but worked and looked great. Here are a few pictures:

The first part of this video shows it in action:

ABH3 Boyer likes this.
Old 11-27-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Body filler? as in bondo?

Is there any sign of rot? If so, I would be using Penetrating Epoxy.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 11-27-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

ABH your rudder looks to be made out of teak. poly resin and cloth won't stick. Even epoxy doesn't bond well to teak. If you use acetone to clean the oils off the newly sanded surface. most varnishes will stick. It's all pointless if the rudder is in the water 24/7 though.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

sounds like I should load it up with poly and keep taking it off
Old 11-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
sounds like I should load it up with poly and keep taking it off
Yes.. any bright-finished wood rudder will last much longer if rigged to easily lift off the pintles and store on board between uses. Look into easy-to-use locking mechanisms vs keeper pins so the rudder doesn't lift out on you at an inopportune moment..

This product is an easy install.. it mounts on the transom above the upper pintle/gudgeon assembly.. the rudder will slide by the clip during installation, but the clip has to be pressed in to allow the rudder to lift off. Inexpensive enough, but also easily fabricated DIY, I'd think.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...7#.ULZLxoWGGUc
ABH3 Boyer likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 11-28-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Your plan is a good one. That's precisely what I did to my Wayfarer rudder (teak ply). Fill voids with epoxy loaded with colloidal silica, cover with a layer of epoxy fibreglass.

If the rudder is to be left on, you need to either paint it or apply the customary 7 layers of spar varnish to protect the epoxy from UV. Polyurethane is not suitable for this application.

I think after doing this, you should still take it off, though.