Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012

jvanommen is on a distinguished road
Worn holes for the Winch Pawls

I have a set of 40 and a set of 8 two speed Lewmar winches. They are over 30 years in use, everything works fine, except that the holes where the pawls sit in have worn out and they just drop out.
This seems like a rather weak link in this critical system. I have asked Lewmar about this but get no reply.
Has anyone heard of a fix. Like drilling the alluminum holes out and replace with a larger diameter pawl? Seems silly to spend a couple thousand bucks in replacement for an otherwise functioning device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Worn holes for the Winch Pawls

I'm trying to picture what you are describing. It seems the spring would hold the pawl in, even if the pivot hole has worn.

Can you just replace the worn part, rather than the entire winch? Pawls are a very serious safety issue. If you have a handle in a loaded winch that fails, it will break your hand, wrist, arm, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-28-2012

jvanommen is on a distinguished road

Thank you Minnewaska for your suggestion.
I am going to try and attach a photograph of the problem.
In the picture you'll see that the one pawl can be pushed in with ease from the side. It should however only be pushed in from the top down. The spring does not hold it any longer in the opening, it falls right out from the side.
The next lesser expensive option would be to replace the alluminum outer housing. But I am not certain that Lewmar has that option. All in all there ought to be a much better mouse trap than this. And I agree, this is a very dangerous problem. I always have to feed the sheet around a cleat to prevent the danger of losing my hand. Maybe I'll just let that happen and sue the mfr for enough to replace the winches and a larger boat....
Attached Thumbnails
Worn holes for the Winch Pawls-dsc_0001.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

That's not worn, that's broken. You could try and take it to a fabrication shop. They should be able to weld/press in a bushing and cut a slot in it. Looks like there's enough material left to make something work. Machine shop/ fab shop should be able to help ya.

And "a better mouse trap"? The thing lasted 30 years with minimal/no maintenance, I'd say the mouse trap is pretty well thought out. How many 30 year old cars do you have sitting around that never needed parts replaced or repaired?
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 11-28-2012

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

Try going online (ebay and other online consignment shops) and see if you can find a used winch. I found an old Lewmar 43 for $100 that I have in reserve to scavenge for parts.
Old 11-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

It's an aluminium drum - take it to a machine shop and have them build it up with weld and re-drill the pawl opening. It shouldn't take more than a couple of small tack welds to close in the circle enough.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-28-2012

mike dryver is on a distinguished road

Take it to s fab shop like zz4gta said they should be able to weld back the missing material and then machine a new hole for the pawl. I assume it is aluminum. To me it looks as though that pawl did all the work. the other looks to be stuck or the spring is broke or missing? the arm should be pushed out away from the pivot point into the the center hole when the drum is off the center post
Old 11-28-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I'm also voting for a machine shop. And guessing that the best way to reinforce the area would be to drill out the "socket" hole to make it larger, then drop in a piece of rod stock to completely fill the hole, which will also reinforce the sides of it. Then drill a new properly sized hole/seat in the now solid metal. So it is filled, reinforced, made all new. Welding not necessarily required, so the question of proper and compatible welds also would be eliminated.

Should be a simple job but I'd guess $150-250 depending on how fancy the local prices are.

Odd how one side blew out and the other didn't.

"Thou shalt lube thine winch pawls."
Old 11-28-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

I'm amazed you got 30 years out of them given the obvious lack of maintenance. Buy a $20 service kit for your other winches and avoid these hassles.
Old 11-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

You may still be able to get the part.

Lewmar Early Standard Winch Parts 8

Not a recommended vendor, just a random search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.