Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Cetol teak cockpit seats or not?

I am in the process of painting the cockpit of my boat and I am removing the teak (actually Arariba, but it's like teak) seat cover panels. I have always just let them go grey and every once in a while spruced them up with a bit of soap, oxalic acid and a brush. Since everything is going to be nice and new on deck, I thought I might try sanding the wood and applying Cetol to have nice yellow glossy wood. I have a few doubts though...

1) Does Cetol go "cloudy" over time in the sun? (I ask because I saw windows done with Cetol that went "milky" in a few years)

2) Can I sand it off without too much trouble and go back to grey teak if I change my mind later?

3) What is the maintenance schedule (re-applying or sanding and re-applying) in the tropics?

If anyone has done their cockpit seats with Cetol, please let me know your impressions and results.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2012

algee is on a distinguished road
Re: Cetol teak cockpit seats or not?

Take a look at Semco, I put it on teak decks and was very happy with it. I think Cetol could be hot to sit on and slippery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012

Semco looks good, but it doesn't seem to be available in Brazil....
Old 11-28-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Personally I would not put Cetol on seats algee said it, hot and slippery. Also surprisingly fragile. And for seating, personally I like the color of weathered wood!

1) The modern formulations of cetol have much better longevity and appearance than the original orange muck. However, like any finish, it will have a finite life - perhaps 5 years in the tropics? (Pure guess, no direct experience of extended tropical trips!!)

2) AFAIK a heat gun is the recommended way to remove cetol. It would be difficult to sand.

3) I don't know about the tropics, but in California a scrub with a scouring pad and a couple of coats of clear cetol once a year is the minimum. However, don't limit it to that - learn from my mistakes - keep an eye open for dings and touch them up ASAP, or they turn into stains and you can't get the consistent color back. It has been suggested that an old nail varnish is perfect for this, containing both brush and a small amount of cetol.
Old 11-28-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
I am in the process of painting the cockpit of my boat and I am removing the teak (actually Arariba, but it's like teak) seat cover panels. I have always just let them go grey and every once in a while spruced them up with a bit of soap, oxalic acid and a brush. Since everything is going to be nice and new on deck, I thought I might try sanding the wood and applying Cetol to have nice yellow glossy wood. I have a few doubts though...

1) Does Cetol go "cloudy" over time in the sun? (I ask because I saw windows done with Cetol that went "milky" in a few years)

2) Can I sand it off without too much trouble and go back to grey teak if I change my mind later?

3) What is the maintenance schedule (re-applying or sanding and re-applying) in the tropics?

If anyone has done their cockpit seats with Cetol, please let me know your impressions and results.

Thanks in advance!
When we purchased our yacht the prior owner had Cetol'd the cockpit teak. It did not wear particularly well and it was slippery as ice when it was wet. And, it was the dickens to remove without damaging the underlying wood/caulking.

Since then we have used Starbrite Teak Oil Sealer, which we renew at roughly 6 month intervals. It looks good and the seats are not slippery when wet.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-28-2012

Thanks for the tips. So Cetol is not the solution then. The problem here is that I can't find the alternative products you have in the US like Semco and Starbrite. Any more "generic" products I should consider? Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012

I'm thinking of going with Tung oil to finish the wood. Tung oil seems to be the main ingredient in teak sealers. Any reason why I shouldn't??
Old 11-29-2012
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
I'm thinking of going with Tung oil to finish the wood. Tung oil seems to be the main ingredient in teak sealers. Any reason why I shouldn't??
Copa--Unfortunately, I am not sufficiently acquainted with Tung Oil to offer a meaningful/useful opinion. In past, however, I have used Brazilian Lemon Oil (imported from Brazil no less) for treating teak woodwork to reasonably good advantage although, it the weather, it is not a long lived as the Starbright I mentioned earlier. (That, however, may just be due to the addition of UV Protection). N'any case, you have nothing to loose by giving it a try.

Good luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-29-2012

Thanks HyLite. I've just ordered a liter of Tung oil and I'll give it a try. The distributor's site has some "how-to" videos that indicate the product is quite effective on outdoor wood (they use teak decks for the video). I'll post pics after I finish the wood. BTW, I've been looking for lemon oil in Brazil and I can't find the stuff! Do you remember the brand you bought? It's great stuff for interior wood.
Old 11-29-2012
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Thanks HyLite. I've just ordered a liter of Tung oil and I'll give it a try. The distributor's site has some "how-to" videos that indicate the product is quite effective on outdoor wood (they use teak decks for the video). I'll post pics after I finish the wood. BTW, I've been looking for lemon oil in Brazil and I can't find the stuff! Do you remember the brand you bought? It's great stuff for interior wood.
Unfortunately, the label on our bottle is pretty deteriorated. It is a clear plastic bottle bearing the label "Amazon Brazilian Lemon Oil". On the bottom of the label in very small typeface is the note "Product of Brazil". It is very effective but I use it sparingly as I've only got less than 1/2 ltr remaining. It does polish up nicely and has a clean scent. I can't imagine that you shouldn't be able to find it, or something equivalent, where you are.

Good luck...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.