Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-28-2012

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Coastal Inflatables

I'm in the market for a new dinghy and came across a vendor I am not familiar with, Coastal Inflatables. They are going to be at the New England Boat show in Feb.

Originally I was looking at high end inflatables such as the AB ultra light aluminum RIB and other hypalons in the 10' foot range. I really like the AB but it's listed at $4,300. Coastal which is "new generation" PVC with an aluminum deck (not RIB) is listed at $1,200 (2012 prices). For that price I can buy a new one every few years and still come out ahead. The other hypalons I looked at were about twice the price of the Coastal.

The "new generation" PVC supposedly has better UV protection. Their PVC thickness is 1100 and is glued not welded. (Although they claim that the molecular interaction of their glue actually creates a weld, it's just that they use glue rather than heat.)

I'm planning on going to the NE boat show to check them out, but would appreciate any feedback if anyone has had any experience with Coast Inflatables.

I use the inflatable in the northeast, it stays in the water May through October. Weight is an important factor because I sometimes tow the dinghy with me for weekend cruising. My old inflatable was a PVC West Marine made by Zodiac and I got 10 years out of it under this type of use.

Thanks!

Last edited by CalypsoP35; 11-30-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added addtl info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2012

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Re: Coastal Inflatables

I happened to be in West Marine yesterday and they had a PVC RIB that was surprising light weight, 93lbs. on a 10'2" LOA. Retail price was $1,900. The salesman asked if I was really interested in buying and if so they could make a really good deal on it because they had one in the storeroom.

He came back with a quote of $1,700. When someone says they can make a really good deal I expect more than a 10% discount of their regular retail price.
Old 12-03-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Especially since I just got a mailer from west marine with a 15% off discount for purchases over 100 bucks.

I'd have laughed at him, but he's a salesman trying to make a living - and such are not to be laughed at.
Old 12-03-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoP35 View Post
I happened to be in West Marine yesterday and they had a PVC RIB that was surprising light weight, 93lbs. on a 10'2" LOA. Retail price was $1,900. The salesman asked if I was really interested in buying and if so they could make a really good deal on it because they had one in the storeroom.

He came back with a quote of $1,700. When someone says they can make a really good deal I expect more than a 10% discount of their regular retail price.
You can find a much better deal on craigslist than that with some patience...LOL
Old 12-03-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

1700 or 1615 after 15% coupon does not sound bad for a new RIB. (or 1450 if you can stack the two)

One thing I always wondered about rigid inflatables is, can you replace the tubes? Seems a waste to not be able to use the hull after the tubes stop holding air.

Last edited by miatapaul; 12-03-2012 at 01:14 PM.