SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   looking for dinghy/tender ideas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94611-looking-dinghy-tender-ideas.html)

bratzcpa 12-01-2012 04:44 PM

looking for dinghy/tender ideas

Good morning. We're finishing up updating/improving/gettng ready our 27' Catalina for an extended trip next year (two months - May and June of 2013). It's coming together pretty good now.

However, having trouble figuring out what to do about a tender/dinghy. so, I'd love some ideas and suggestions.

A couple of yeaes ago, I built a 8' pram style dinghy (stitch and glue) out of plywood and fiberglass. It rows great, fairly stable, and has a little sailing rig too - really moves! However, we can't figure out what to do with it on board. I really don't want to tow it everywhere (crossing the gulf stream to the bahamas). We have an outboard on the sailboat's stern, so not a lot of room for davits. Its pretty hard to get up and stored on the foredeck, and impossible to get at the anchor locker when there. We tried winching it up to the foredeck using the spinnaker halyard, but we couldn't seem to pull it up with that.

I've tried one of those cheap inflatable style raft things. This would be great because we could just deflate it and store below when sailing any distance. however, it's crappy to row, everything gets wet and I "think" coral or rough bottom would rip it to shreds quickly.

any thoughts for storing the hard dinghy I already have? or ideas of a "good" inflatable we could easily put below?

thx, markb

pdqaltair 12-01-2012 04:48 PM

Re: looking for dinghy/tender ideas

Inflatable kayaks? I would love to here comments. I have a hard kayak and love it, but you would need 2 and lack the space. Inflatable kayaks certainly row better than cheap rafts, are loads more fun, and there are 2, providing separate trans.

copacabana 12-01-2012 05:00 PM

Have you considered a nesting hard dinghy?

Chameleon

It takes up very little space on deck when broken down into 2 pieces.

Faster 12-01-2012 05:13 PM

A nesting dinghy may well be what you're looking for.

We carry two 9.5 foot plastic kayaks and a 7 foot rollup inflatable that rarely sees the light of day. Inflatable kayaks are certainly a more stowable option but the effort involved in paddling them is harder that the rigid ones.

There are also folding kayaks with collapsible frames that might be better, but they too have canvas skins that might not like barnacles and sharp rocks. Also, as much as we love our kayaks they are not suitable for serious grocery runs...

Captainmeme 12-01-2012 07:51 PM

I keep coming back to this dink, sails, rows, takes a motor, carries 450 pounds and folds flat
for storage.

flapdoodle_dinghy : flapdoodle_dinghy

Faster 12-01-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainmeme (Post 955705)
I keep coming back to this dink, sails, rows, takes a motor, carries 450 pounds and folds flat
for storage.

flapdoodle_dinghy : flapdoodle_dinghy

Neat... here's a more direct link.

Flapdoodle Dinghy

chucklesR 12-01-2012 08:45 PM

The 8 foot port-a-bote might be in your future, look for used ones if the full up new one is outside your budget. You can fold it to surf board sized and tie it to the rails/life lines

deniseO30 12-01-2012 08:47 PM

It should fit on your foredeck it's certainly light enough. Just tow it on short runs. It also shades sun over the front lift hatch if you have one.

Uh..your taking a C27 from MT overland and then down the coast to fla and beyond? (eek!)

chris5977 12-02-2012 02:32 AM

I use a West Marine inflatable 2 person kayak. It's easy to stow, easy to inflate, easy to row, and cheap.

Minnewaska 12-02-2012 07:04 AM

If you go the inflatable route, be sure to get a very good electric reversible pump. I spent my childhood as the "foot pump kid". I twitch just thinking of it. Electric pumps on reverse can really get them empty for folding, much better and faster than rolling. If you had to fill/empty manually, you would dread going to shore eventually.