Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
looking for dinghy/tender ideas

Good morning. We're finishing up updating/improving/gettng ready our 27' Catalina for an extended trip next year (two months - May and June of 2013). It's coming together pretty good now.

However, having trouble figuring out what to do about a tender/dinghy. so, I'd love some ideas and suggestions.

A couple of yeaes ago, I built a 8' pram style dinghy (stitch and glue) out of plywood and fiberglass. It rows great, fairly stable, and has a little sailing rig too - really moves! However, we can't figure out what to do with it on board. I really don't want to tow it everywhere (crossing the gulf stream to the bahamas). We have an outboard on the sailboat's stern, so not a lot of room for davits. Its pretty hard to get up and stored on the foredeck, and impossible to get at the anchor locker when there. We tried winching it up to the foredeck using the spinnaker halyard, but we couldn't seem to pull it up with that.

I've tried one of those cheap inflatable style raft things. This would be great because we could just deflate it and store below when sailing any distance. however, it's crappy to row, everything gets wet and I "think" coral or rough bottom would rip it to shreds quickly.

any thoughts for storing the hard dinghy I already have? or ideas of a "good" inflatable we could easily put below?

thx, markb

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for dinghy/tender ideas

Inflatable kayaks? I would love to here comments. I have a hard kayak and love it, but you would need 2 and lack the space. Inflatable kayaks certainly row better than cheap rafts, are loads more fun, and there are 2, providing separate trans.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Have you considered a nesting hard dinghy?

Chameleon

It takes up very little space on deck when broken down into 2 pieces.
Old 12-01-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

A nesting dinghy may well be what you're looking for.

We carry two 9.5 foot plastic kayaks and a 7 foot rollup inflatable that rarely sees the light of day. Inflatable kayaks are certainly a more stowable option but the effort involved in paddling them is harder that the rigid ones.

There are also folding kayaks with collapsible frames that might be better, but they too have canvas skins that might not like barnacles and sharp rocks. Also, as much as we love our kayaks they are not suitable for serious grocery runs...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-01-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

I keep coming back to this dink, sails, rows, takes a motor, carries 450 pounds and folds flat
for storage.

flapdoodle_dinghy : flapdoodle_dinghy
Old 12-01-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
I keep coming back to this dink, sails, rows, takes a motor, carries 450 pounds and folds flat
for storage.

flapdoodle_dinghy : flapdoodle_dinghy
Neat... here's a more direct link.

Flapdoodle Dinghy

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-01-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

The 8 foot port-a-bote might be in your future, look for used ones if the full up new one is outside your budget. You can fold it to surf board sized and tie it to the rails/life lines
Old 12-01-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

It should fit on your foredeck it's certainly light enough. Just tow it on short runs. It also shades sun over the front lift hatch if you have one.

Uh..your taking a C27 from MT overland and then down the coast to fla and beyond? (eek!)
angelfish likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 12-01-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2012

chris5977 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to chris5977 Send a message via MSN to chris5977 Send a message via Yahoo to chris5977

I use a West Marine inflatable 2 person kayak. It's easy to stow, easy to inflate, easy to row, and cheap.
Old 12-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you go the inflatable route, be sure to get a very good electric reversible pump. I spent my childhood as the "foot pump kid". I twitch just thinking of it. Electric pumps on reverse can really get them empty for folding, much better and faster than rolling. If you had to fill/empty manually, you would dread going to shore eventually.
patrscoe likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.