Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Re: Who dives on their own Boat?

A couple of tips from somebody who has performed over 20,000 hull cleanings:

1.- Whenever breathing compressed air underwater (be it from tanks or a hookah) you can be injured or killed if you do not know what you are doing. By all means, get a scuba certification.

2.- If you want to simplify things, forget about the BC, ocotpus and guages. All of that stuff is unneccessary. Have your dive shop rig-up a 50' air hose and simply leave your tank on the dock. It's a sure bet you'll be bangin' that tank and first stage regulator on the bottom of your boat otherwise.

Here are some tools of the trade:

Here's how you do it:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I like your tools of the trade. But how do you refill the glass underwater without a bottle opener?
Fstbttms likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I dive my boat to replace zincs and to clean bottom. Not the most fun thing to do as visibility in the harbor is about 4 feet. There are some 3 foot long Barricuda around as well as sharks from what I am told from the local fishermen. I also am a little concerned about getting an electrical shock- but as I understand in salt water this is not a problem (fresh water it is).

I scuba dived for over 30 years prior to cleaning boat.

I would make sure you are in good shape prior to diving (doctor check out). I am in pretty good shape and daily run over 3 miles a day, but after diving on the boat I can be exhausted. If you are dealing with a strong tide current, be careful, you could be swept away from the boat, and you will use a lot more energy just staying in one place. Have a buddy on the surface ( or better in the water with you) at least for the first few time. When I was living in Annapolis around 1993, there was a man that put his boat on a sand bar at the mouth of Back Creek in order to scrub the bottom. His wife stayed on the sail boat. He never surfaced. They found him a few days later. Apparently the boat drifted into deep water and he could not surface (he was an older man wearing blue jeans from what I understand).

Definitely get certified if you use compressed air underwater. I use tanks when I dive, but have been looking into some type of surface air supplied system.

Last edited by casey1999; 12-03-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I also am a little concerned about getting an electrical shock- but as I understand in salt water this is not a problem (fresh water it is).
Electricity and water can be a deadly combination, salt or fresh. While electric shock drownings are much more likely to occur in freshwater, you should unplug from the shorepower any boat you dive before getting into the water.
Brezzin likes this.
Old 12-03-2012

Fast bottoms,
Should all prop struts have zincs? If mine does not, is it ok to drill a hole through it in order to mount a zinc, like you show in your video?
Regards
Old 12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Electricity and water can be a deadly combination, salt or fresh. While electric shock drownings are much more likely to occur in freshwater, you should unplug from the shorepower any boat you dive before getting into the water.
I do not plug my boat in, but some neighbors do. Could I get a shock from another boat's power while diving mine?
Old 12-03-2012

Quote:
I do not plug my boat in, but some neighbors do. Could I get a shock from another boat's power while diving mine?
The short answer is "yes." But again, not very likely in saltwater. I have been diving in marinas for 18 years. Never had a problem with a neighboring boat (knock on wood )
Old 12-03-2012

Quote:
Fast bottoms,
Should all prop struts have zincs? If mine does not, is it ok to drill a hole through it in order to mount a zinc, like you show in your video?
Regards
No reason to mount a zinc on the strut unless you are having a corrosion issue with it. My advice- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
paul323 and casey1999 like this.
Old 12-03-2012

I just found the article about the man drowning. I was living on Bembe beach at the time this happened. Actually was returning from a 3 mile run when I got back to my waterfront house and saw the coast guard helo hovering a 1,000 feet away looking for the man. His wife still on the boat. I always wished I could have been near by so that I could have done somthing when the incident happened. Be careful.

Peter Gookin | Peter C. Gookin, sailing enthusiast, exhibit manager for Naval Institute - Baltimore Sun

From above:
"Peter C. Gookin, sailing enthusiast, exhibit manager for Naval Institute
May 31, 1994|By Sherrie Ruhl | Sherrie Ruhl,Sun Staff Writer
Peter C. Gookin, who was exhibit and special projects manager for the U.S. Naval Institute in Annapolis and an active sailing enthusiast, drowned Thursday while cleaning his boat for a Memorial Day weekend race. He was 36.

Mr. Gookin also was an instructor at an Annapolis sailing school and, said Mark Gatlin, a friend and colleague who "loved the water. His whole life, his sole focus was to sail."

Mr. Gookin had been scrubbing the bottom of a 27-foot Catalina sailboat in preparation for a race from St. Michaels on the Eastern Shore to Annapolis this weekend.

Investigators said the boat drifted from shallow water, where the work began, into about 14 feet of water on the Chesapeake Bay off Bembe Beach, south of Annapolis.

"This is a real perplexity to us. Peter was just the most careful and straightforward person," said his sister-in-law, Jane Gookin.

Mr. Gookin, who had worked for the U.S. Naval Institute in Annapolis since 1987, traveled frequently to promote the books of the Naval Institute Press.

Mr. Gatlin, who sailed with Mr. Gookin and worked with him at the Naval Institute, said they were preparing for the Maryland Capital Race this weekend.

Four times a national Rainbow Class champion, Mr. Gookin also was the 1985 Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association High Point Champion and three-time winner of the Annapolis Sailing School's annual Instructors' Regatta.

He was a former fleet captain of the Annapolis Rainbow Fleet and a member of the Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association and the Naval Academy Sailing Squadron.

Mr. Gookin, one of 10 children, was deeply involved with his 17 nieces and nephews, Jane Gookin said.

"He was the kind of uncle who would go look at their room and admire their belongings. He was always willing to play softball, badminton or whatever games the children wanted," she said.

Born in 1958 in South Weymouth, Mass., Mr. Gookin graduated from Northeast High in Pasadena in 1976. He was awarded an A. S. Abell Foundation scholarship to attend the University of Maryland School of Journalism. One semester, he covered sports and features for the campus newspaper, The Diamondback. He earned a bachelor's degree in journalism in 1980.

After graduation, he worked as design and production manager for Sea Technology magazine in Arlington before joining the Annapolis Sailing School as an instructor and promotions director.

Mr. Gookin is survived by his mother, Barbara Clayton Gookin of Baltimore, and his father, Roger B. Gookin of Fort Myers, Fla.; five brothers, Roger B. Gookin Jr. of Baltimore, John T. Gookin of Lander, Wyo., David L. Gookin of Stevensville, Patrick W. Gookin of Jacksonville, N.C., and Michael A. Gookin, of Fort Myers; four sisters, Martha A. Rickert of Baltimore, Kathleen M. Gookin-Savin of Olympia, Wash., Amy Elizabeth Gookin of Phippsburg, Me.; and Barbara J. Gookin of Nantucket, Mass.

A memorial service was to be held at 10 a.m. today at the Naval Academy's St. Andrew's Chapel.
"
Old 12-03-2012

H2814D is on a distinguished road

Copacabana says, "I would also caution that if you need a tank to dive 6 feet under your hull you should really think about starting an exercise program, no matter how old you are."

Starting this weekend, I will begin that exercise program. You know, the one that allows a person of any age to be able to hold his breath for an hour and a half to three hours from the surface to about six feet underwater while vigorously removing marine growth from the bottom of a sailboat, and in water temperatures ranging anywhere between 50 and 82 degrees F. :-)