Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who dives on their own Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Thanks for the link. But, according to it, the problem is not holding your breath but hyperventilating before diving. As long as you don't do that, there should be no problem.
Hyperventilatiing "can" cause shallow water blackout, but it is not the only cause. Here are the recommendations:
1. Take a moment on the edge of the water to relax and allow blood oxygen and carbon dioxide to reach equilibrium.

2. Breathe absolutely normally; allow the body to dictate the rate of breathing to make sure the carbon dioxide levels are properly calibrated.

3. If excited or anxious about the dive take extra care to remain calm and breathe naturally; epinephrine (adrenaline) also causes hyperventilation without the diver knowing.

4. When the urge to breathe comes on near the end of the dive immediately seek access to air.

5. Never dive alone. Dive in buddy pairs, one to observe, one to dive.
Buddy pairs must both know cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) current practice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2012
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road

Good points on safety for the general public. And yet there is no end to the ways both careful and careless people make their exit from this green earth. The threat level of holding my breath for a little while underwater to change a zinc is so low on my particular scale of concerns that it is trivial. Besides being fit, I grew up surfing and have a lifetime of water experience that is far, far, far more hazardous than replacing the zinc on Aeolus! Anyway, good points for general safety.

I'm reminded of the perhaps apocryphal story of my running hero Emil Zatopek training in Czechoslovokia by taking a deep breath and running down the tree-lined country road until he passed out. When he woke, he would count the trees to see how far he had gone to see how fit he was. Easy to dismiss this outright, but don't. His training techniques are legendary to this day. He would run over a marathon distance of 400 or 800 meter repeats, fast, every day when actively training!

Anyway, and yes, ablative paint scrubbing is illegal in WA, but so are a few other things that are commonplace practices. With decent paint, our growth here is pedestrian and cruisers don't need to scrub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
Good points on safety for the general public. And yet there is no end to the ways both careful and careless people make their exit from this green earth. The threat level of holding my breath for a little while underwater to change a zinc is so low on my particular scale of concerns that it is trivial. Besides being fit, I grew up surfing and have a lifetime of water experience that is far, far, far more hazardous than replacing the zinc on Aeolus! Anyway, good points for general safety.

I'm reminded of the perhaps apocryphal story of my running hero Emil Zatopek training in Czechoslovokia by taking a deep breath and running down the tree-lined country road until he passed out. When he woke, he would count the trees to see how far he had gone to see how fit he was. Easy to dismiss this outright, but don't. His training techniques are legendary to this day. He would run over a marathon distance of 400 or 800 meter repeats, fast, every day when actively training!

Anyway, and yes, ablative paint scrubbing is illegal in WA, but so are a few other things that are commonplace practices. With decent paint, our growth here is pedestrian and cruisers don't need to scrub.
Yea here on Oahu north shore I do all kinds of stuff in the water year round. Surf, skin dive, scuba dive, windsurf, sail, body board. But on this board, you do not know the skill or health level of the people taking the advice. A tourist dies here about once a month snorkoling in 3 feet of water (mostly probably heart attacks).

Need to be careful what to recommend as most people are probably no where near as fit as you are.
Old 12-04-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post

Need to be careful what to recommend as most people are probably no where near as fit as you are.
Great point! I grew up in the beaches of Pinellas County Florida doing all the water sports as well. I will not have a problem free diving down to 10 or 12 feet. I was just thinking that it would be better if I get trained and licensed to scuba to keep from paying someone to do it a $70. Bucks a pop. I also thought it would be necessary to in case I picked up a crab pot or some other kind of bottom problem it would be dumb and or Irresponsible not to learn skills that may just save you a large bill or worse? Right?
casey1999 likes this.
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Definitely go learn to dive. You may love it and use it to explore.

As for saving money on the hull cleaning, the jury is out. If you found the gear on the boat, it absolutely must be inspected and overhauled before you take a deep breath into your lungs with it. The regulators have wearable parts and any corrosion or metal shaving must be cleaned out. You would have no idea whether the air in the tank has been properly filled either and contaminants under pressure are bad for your health.

The tank must have the valve/regulator removed so the threads and interior can be visually inspected once per year. The last date should be on a sticker on the tank. There are youtube vids on what a 3 pound valve does when the threads break and 3000 psi fires it off like a missile. Then, the tank must be hydro tested for elasticity every five years and that date should be stamped into the metal near the top of the tank. There will be a string of alpha numerics that usually start with DOT in the US. You will find the hydro date in that string in a MM-YY format.

I understand there are a batch of aluminum tanks out there that have been exploding. Google it up. A test facility would know if you're at risk. Any dive shop can send them out for you.
jrd22 and ltgoshen like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-05-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you found the gear on the boat, it absolutely must be inspected and overhauled before you take a deep breath into your lungs with it.
Who dives on their own Boat?
As you suggested here I did have the dive gear checked out by my local dive shop. I know its hard to tell by the photo, But the gear is all brand new. It has never been the water. The PO told me he purchased the stuff to clean the bottom and just never learned. He wanted it on board in case he was off-Shore and needed to clean a prop or prop shaft. The guy at the dive said for 15 year old equipment it was in great condition. It was stored under his bead in his house the whole time.
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Did the shop just check it out or actually break it down, inspect and overhaul? Absolutely no way that 15 year old gear can be in good shape on the inside. O-rings alone would dry or flatten out.

Any 15 year old aluminum tank should be replaced IMHO, especially if it stayed filled and in stretched condition that entire time. I would get a new one, even if it passed hydro. YMMV

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-05-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Did the shop just check it out or actually break it down, inspect and overhaul? Absolutely no way that 15 year old gear can be in good shape on the inside. O-rings alone would dry or flatten out.

Any 15 year old aluminum tank should be replaced IMHO, especially if it stayed filled and in stretched condition that entire time. I would get a new one, even if it passed hydro. YMMV
Never been used tank wad never filled. And yes they did a complete check and seal replacement.
Old 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Never been used tank wad never filled. And yes they did a complete check and seal replacement.
Cool find then.

Obviously, they must sent the tank out to be hydro inspected after 15 years and it has a fresh stamp then. If it never ever had air in it at all, I retract my concern over its age. Though, that's rare. Most new tanks have been purged with compressed dry air and filled to 500psi to help prevent humid air from infiltrating and corroding.

Just trying to be helpful.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-05-2012
First String

The guy that had the boat Has stage 3 Alzheimer's but his wife told me that he wanted it for a birthday so she bought him all the stuff but he never went to get certified and the gear was under his bed ever sinse. The dive shop did not put a sticker on the tank. he used a stamp that indents the new date into the metal itself. anyway thanks.