Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Who dives on their own Boat?

So Here is one thing I have learned this year. Keep in mind March the 16 will be the first full year I have owned a sailboat. Today I have the bottom cleaned for the 5th time this year and at $70 bucks a pop, I think it might be better to get trained to dive and clean the bottom my self? How many of you out there clean your own bottom. I don't need to haul it out in the winter its still warm here in South Carolina and we still sail on the weekends. They told me every 3 years to do packing and thou hull work other-wise dive on it or list it over on the sand bar.
$250.00 gets me certified.
All the dive gear was on the boat when I purchased it.
I have paid $370.00 this summer alone. I would think it to be a no brainier but I am no diver and the SC tides are some time very stiff 3 to 4 knots. Some thoughts here?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who dives on their own Boat?

I dive on my own boat. It's about the only time I dive anymore. Bear in mind that I'm in fresh water, so I'm only scouring off slime and minor growth-- nothing like you guys face in salt water, but I dive to clean the bottom about once a month, before races.
You've got a C&C 30- you can clean the first 2 feet from the waterline down with snorkel and mask. There are suction cups (West Marine) that make the job easier by keeping you close to the boat and save your strength for scrubbing. To go deeper, the tanks are helpful, especially if you're cleaning barnacles and stuff that hangs on hard.
I take the boat out of the marina to a mooring ball where I don't have to worry about any stray electricity from my neighbors. In the rare cases when I enter the water inside the marina I shut down all the breakers within about 50' of my boat (my dock neighbors are very understanding) just in case.
I'd encourage you to take lessons and get certified even if you don't decide to clean your own bottom. It's a good skill to know.
wdwright1967 likes this.
Old 12-02-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

It's a good fitness thing. Do it and you will live longer.

I do mine but don't have dive gear, although I am thinking about it for Christmas
In the tropics free diving on your own boat is excellent fun and exercise... Though I can't actually do the bottom of the keel.
Old 12-02-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

On my 26' I was able to do quite a bit with just a snorkel mask. I could reach the prop while keeping my head above water and get rid of the barnacles. That makes a big difference. The worst growth is at the waterline which you can also do without the scuba. Below the waterline, if the bottom paint is good it should generally be just soft slime which should come off with a long brush.

How big is your boat? It seems like you could get quite a bit done without the scuba unless you have a pretty big boat. Although if you're interested in scuba anyway why not?
Old 12-02-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I have little dive time but how do you feel about a solo dive even when it is not deep in 3 to 4 knots ? Find a bud make a plan dive the plan and have fun Lou 452
Old 12-02-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Who dives on their own Boat?

Its a 30 boat with a 5 keel. As said before, i have the gear in the photo. It came with the sailboat. So the big cost is paid for already.
Old 12-02-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road

I dive the boat (32') - I enjoy it, and clean the bottom, replace zincs, inspect, etc. I basically enjoy being underwater, so for me it is both economical and a pleasure - especially if you have all of the kit! Just make sure it is serviced, inspected, and functional!! Like msmith, it's about the only time I get to dive nowadays.....

Depending on where your boat is, I should caution you that it's not always fun and games. Where I am, in summer visibility is maybe 1 foot, so it can be dark, dirty and frustrating. In winter I get about 2-3 feet visibility, but that first few seconds when you get in.....brrrrr!

Get certified. There are a few basics you need to learn which could kill you if you don't know them, and lots of practical skills (like cleaning you mask while underwater) which will be useful. When you dive, I strongly recommended you have somebody on the surface to keep an eye on you. Things can go wrong, even in 2-5 feet, and you should never dive alone. BTW, a 2-3 knot current is not bad - I would dive in slack tide if I were you, otherwise you'll find it hard to stay on the hull for cleaning. It's hard enough sometimes with no tide!
Old 12-02-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

A lot of people who dive use a hookah system. That does not require any certs and you don't have to worry about tanks.
paul323 likes this.
Old 12-03-2012

kevinb654 is on a distinguished road

Great with keeping this i am sure you will in benefit in Boat working and also in health.
one more thing related boat i want share here is recently i found one of the best boat transport service provider so it is useful so for more info please visit its website:
yacht-transportation.com
Old 12-03-2012

H2814D is on a distinguished road

I did mine three weeks ago. I have a 30 foot Islander in fresh water (Lake Mead). The bottom had quite a bit of slime/moss/algae below the waterline. I used a piece of carpet, as some have suggested, because you don't want to use anything too abrasive and I also bought and used a suction device. I was glad I did. The suction device is a must, otherwise, you will have a hard time staying close to what you are working on.

I have a picture attached of the suction device I bought (at WM) and used. It actually worked well. I also wore a mask with a video camera built into it and recorded almost the entire cleaning. The carpet was just a piece of scrap carpet (I used the carpet side for cleaning). I also used a wire brush on the prop, prop shaft, and to remove scale from the zincs.

Like yours, my boat is also 30 feet long. I was working in 72 degree water right at the surface, and just below, and used a tank and a half of air (both were 80 CF tanks). It was kind of hard work and I actually spread the chore out over two days after I found out how much work it actually was, but I'm 52, so that may have been part of the reason. I think the entire job was about 3 hours, but this was my first time doing it too. I could probably finish it quicker next time. I see you have one tank there. Work fast. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Who dives on their own Boat?-photoma28484460-0001.jpg