SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   "Thingamajig" what the heck (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94652-thingamajig-what-heck.html)

kellysails 12-03-2012 12:24 PM

"Thingamajig" what the heck

1 Attachment(s)
This weekend I was tracing the hose for my seawater cooling system on my new boat (Yanmar 4JH5E). I was fully expecting to see the hose that leads from the heat exchanger to go directly to the mixing elbow. But no, it heads up engine room bulkhead (above waterline) to a “thingamajig” that looks like a sensor or solenoid then another line going back down to the mixing elbow. This seems strange to me and I am half tempted to put in a new short hose that goes directly from the heat exchanger to the mixing elbow. Looks to me as another single point of failure. Thoughts? What is this "thingamajig"?

The line on the right comes from the heat exchanger, the left line goes back down to the mixing elbow.

Faster 12-03-2012 12:28 PM

Re: "Thingamajig" what the heck

That's looks like an anti siphon device that prevents a vacuum from existing in the system.. AKA a "vented loop". Are there actually wires going to it, or do they just go by?

btw.. don't short circuit it!!

kellysails 12-03-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 956334)
That's looks like an anti siphon device that prevents a vacuum from existing in the system.. AKA a "vented loop". Are there actually wires going to it, or do they just go by?

btw.. don't short circuit it!!

There seemed to be wires going to it but I need to take another look. That was why I was kind of thinking it was a solenoid of some type. Maybe you are right though, that makes sense. I have not seen anything like it before.

CalebD 12-03-2012 12:49 PM

Aunti Syphon valve.

kellysails 12-03-2012 12:55 PM

Thanks! I bet it is. There is a grey small hose in the pic that leads off from the top to the left of the junction. I was thinking there were wires in it but I bet it leads off to a higher point in the boat. Interesting, I need to track that hose down to see where it goes. More bruised knuckles coming my way.

rugosa 12-03-2012 01:39 PM

Looks like this? Vetus Exhaust Systems Air Vents

kellysails 12-03-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugosa (Post 956355)

It sure does, wow, nice. And within the description some valuable advice:

AIRVENTV model has a pressure valve and is self contained. It does require periodic maintenance to prevent clogging with salt crystals.

Thanks very much!

svHyLyte 12-03-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellysails (Post 956330)
This weekend I was tracing the hose for my seawater cooling system on my new boat (Yanmar 4JH5E). I was fully expecting to see the hose that leads from the heat exchanger to go directly to the mixing elbow. But no, it heads up engine room bulkhead (above waterline) to a “thingamajig” that looks like a sensor or solenoid then another line going back down to the mixing elbow. This seems strange to me and I am half tempted to put in a new short hose that goes directly from the heat exchanger to the mixing elbow. Looks to me as another single point of failure. Thoughts? What is this "thingamajig"?

The line on the right comes from the heat exchanger, the left line goes back down to the mixing elbow.

Anti-siphon valve with plastic cover tabs covering the ends of the hose clamps that hold the hoses in place.

rugosa 12-03-2012 01:56 PM

That valuable information might be in your owner's manual/dvd/webpage or might not. There was likely some installation & maintenance instructions in the box/bag when installed, but way too often that stuff ends up in the assembly shop trash. Better to know and plan for preventative maintenance than be caught in a gale with your pants down:D

kellysails 12-03-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugosa (Post 956372)
That valuable information might be in your owner's manual/dvd/webpage or might not. There was likely some installation & maintenance instructions in the box/bag when installed, but way too often that stuff ends up in the assembly shop trash. Better to know and plan for preventative maintenance than be caught in a gale with your pants down:D

Boy, am I sooo glad I asked the question and now know that I need to also give it a periodic vinegar bath. I did look in my Beneteau manual and 4JH5E operation and parts manual, nada. I do try to research (RTFM) prior to posting questions:)

We did sort through all the random manuals that came with the boat, a stack 4 feet high. First removed all the versions that are not in english, 70% reduction right there.