Old 12-07-2012

Southron Spirit is on a distinguished road
Re: Any tips on parting out a sailboat?

if anyone has a swing keel for a spirit 23 im intrested some other parts also
Old 12-07-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

ebay. One can sell anything. I've sold everything from a Jeep to a broken wheel pilot.

I need self tailing primaries and a new prop. I check ebay regularly looking for "that" deal.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Lead is about $1.00 a pound. $2000.00 salvage with $5000.00 of lead bolted to the bottom, just think about that. You'll burn through $50.00 of sawzall baldes and you'd better have a truck to haul the engines & trannies & other metals to the scrapyard and have room for a roll-off dumpster $250.00-$400.00 next to the soon-to-be non boat. Another $500.00 or so to the boatyard for the haulout and the space.
So you pocket about $2000.00 for two day's work right away and then you start selling the good parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sww914; 12-08-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Lead is about $1.00 a pound.....
I believe clean soft lead may cost that if you want to buy it, but not sell it. Further, boat keels are not usually pure soft lead, they are hardened with a few percent of something else. I think the going rate for a scrap yard to pay to buy impure lead is going to be less than a quarter per pound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I will bet you can't easily cut a 35ft boat in small enough pieces to fit in a 40 yard roll off dumpster, which is a bit over 20ft long.

Like I said, if the economics worked well, marinas would not be stocked with abandoned boats. They would hire some summer kids and at least clean the yard up.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-08-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Boats are being cut up by crews, you can see the parts in the "Sailing Hardware" section of eBay Motors - many winches, pulpits, pushpits, rudders, keels, sails, and other spare parts at bargain prices.
Old 12-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I will bet you can't easily cut a 35ft boat in small enough pieces to fit in a 40 yard roll off dumpster, which is a bit over 20ft long.
Sure you can. it's done everyday. I cut donorboat into pieces small enough to get the entire boat onto a 5 x8' trailer.
Dock Six Chronicles: Adventures in Keel Hauling

BTW, our local scrapyard buys clean sailboat keels for $.55/lb. Mars Keels will pay $.65-$.75/lb, but you have to bring it to them. not real practical for one keel more than 50 miles away, but if you've got a load worth loading on a flatbed it starts to pay off.

Why don't boatyards cut up and dispose of old boats? Likely a bunch of reasons- 1. They aren't in the salvage business. 2. Title and ownership issues. 3. Somebody might buy the whole boat someday- then you've got more work clming in and another slip rented. 4. It's nasty, dirty, itchy, hard, occasionally dangerous work with very sharp tools. If you have teenagers, you know a)how hard it is to get them to do anything nasty, dirty, itchy or hard and b) power tool safety is not top of mind. It would be a supervisory and liability nightmare.

Old 12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Sure you can. it's done everyday. I cut donorboat into pieces small enough to get the entire boat onto a 5 x8' trailer......
I've never done it, so I will defer to those that have.

However, if I followed correctly, this was a 25 ft boat? A 35 foot boat would be enormously bigger and more difficult. The keel alone would grow from 1200 to 5000 pounds. I suspect that same ratio would apply to the rest.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-08-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I should have said that lead is ALMOST a buck a pound. I sold 500# for $.85. I had to shop around to get that price, the first guy quoted me $.20.

Old 12-08-2012

In Mexico?

Jeanneau 54DS