Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-08-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Any tips on parting out a sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
Sandy damage has caused several boats at our club to be declared "constructive total losses". Would it be worthwhile for the owners to part the boats themselves? Some have good masts, booms, standing rigging, winches, spinnaker poles, pulpits, pushpits, sails, diesels, and transmissions in addition to the ballast. If the insurance company offers a 35' boat at $3K, wouldn't those parts be worth far more. Clearly, there's an established market for the lead. Is there an effective way to market the rest? It seems wasteful to landfill it.
I had the misfortune of having to part out a Thunderbird 26 in the early 1970's. It needed repairs far beyond my skills that I could not then afford to have done and I could find neither a buyer nor even anyone that would accept the boat as a donation. And, we had to clear the slip. We had the boat hauled out at a local DIY yard after pulling the mast and laid on her side in a back corner where a modest dumpster was brought in. I eventually cleared about $3,000 for the bits and pieces after 5 daze work in the cold; rain, getting $1,200 for the spars and rigging alone, $500 for the sails, $250 for the rudder/tiller, a good bit for the cast iron keel, $100 each for the primary winches and winch pads etc., etc., etc. (and all of this via word of mouth, notices placed on YC Bulletin boards, and a $15.00 ad in a local newspaper). The most difficult part was actually cutting up the hull with a chain-saw, which burned up 4 chain/blades. I threw the rubbish in the trash but I was later berated by a local shipyard owner that told me I should have burned the bits and pieces and then combed the ashes for the bronze and copper fastenings as they did when they "broke up" a ship/barge (who knew!?!)

I suggest you can accomplish the same much more easily with Craig's list,e-bay and the like, especially if you get a couple of boats together and team up. The "team" could rent a mini-storage locker or two and partition those for each ship's gear and work together on each boat in turn. Once the rigs are pulled and the keels dropped and prop'd, ship breaking isn't a difficult process, just nasty. Wear suits, gloves and VOC rated breathers and have at it.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
......ship breaking isn't a difficult process, just nasty. Wear suits, gloves and VOC rated breathers and have at it.....
Another good point. I would bet neighbors and environmental zelots would go crazy with all the fiberglass dust, etc, flying around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-08-2012

Southron Spirit is on a distinguished road

if someone had a back hoe they could probally bust it up pretty fast
Old 12-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've never done it, so I will defer to those that have.

However, if I followed correctly, this was a 25 ft boat? A 35 foot boat would be enormously bigger and more difficult. The keel alone would grow from 1200 to 5000 pounds. I suspect that same ratio would apply to the rest.
It's bigger but it's not much more complicated, and a 35 foot boat will fit in a 20 yard dumpster. yeah, disposal costs are higher, but, as you have just pointed out, the salvage value increases exponentially.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.